router issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down

router issues

Post by S7 Zalacious on Sun May 09, 2010 3:45 am

So I finally completely ditched my dsl and set up my network using my new cable connection. Bought a Linksys wireless-n boradband router, model number WRT160n. Only reason I got the wireless variant was becasue one of my roommates needed a wirless connection.

So I got the network all connected, run a speed test and low and behold my download speed went from 24 mb/s to 6-8 and my ping is through the roof. Any ideas or help would be most appreciated.

S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Zalacious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: router issues

Post by S7 Zalacious on Sun May 09, 2010 4:24 am

OK did a reset after getting the router set up and that seemed to fix the isse. Connection is back up to 24 down 5 up. I freakin' hate the network magic program that comes with the router. Tomorrow I think I am going to delete it and just set up the security straight through the routers ip.

S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky on Sun May 09, 2010 11:59 am

S7 Zalacious wrote:OK did a reset after getting the router set up and that seemed to fix the isse. Connection is back up to 24 down 5 up. I freakin' hate the network magic program that comes with the router. Tomorrow I think I am going to delete it and just set up the security straight through the routers ip.

that is your best bet !! they try and make it r tard friendly but it winds up hurting you . i had to mess with my own setting alot for it to run good .

what i would do

....over all speed...

1. if you have a firewall on you pc and or lap top turn the one on your router off (there is no need to have them both on )

2.put on a wireless WEP key (so you dont have people leaching off you)

...xbox gaming speed...

1. you can try opening your ports. go under applications & gaming under single port type in this
80-80 Tcp then your IP address
88-88 Udp then your IP
3074-3074 both then your Ip
53-53 both then your IP

2. type your xbox IP in to the dmz

side note
from what i have seen with linksys wirless N (i have one )
if you try and run more then one xbox/ps2 and so on you will get a strict nat so restarting your adapter becouse like an every day thing in my house.

Clan Founder

S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Glock on Sun May 09, 2010 12:27 pm

If you are running multiple xboxes... do not open any ports or use the dmz... just make sure PnP is enabled and let the router manage the ports....

S7 Glock
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 Glock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Zalacious on Sun May 09, 2010 11:14 pm

Yeah I already have a WEP key set up over the network. On my last network I had a lecher that was doing a lot of copyright infringement sh1t and guess who starting getting emails from their ISP....

As far as the port thing, I have never really messed with that stuff before but I guess it doesn’t seem all that hard. I currently have one 360 and PS3 but I never even play anything on the PS3. Going to try and get some gaming in tonight to see how my connection is like on Live. Once I get into my new place (freakin' single again FTW!), I might just get a simpler router since I will not need a wireless network anymore.

S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:37 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top