MLB PI15

:: General :: Sports

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MLB PI15

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:43 pm

So, MLB Perfect Inning 15 is an iOS sim that I'm playing on my iPhone, not sure if it's available on Android.  I've only played 3 games, and have struggled in all of them, but the game is different than a normal sim.  

You pick a team and start with the base roster of that team.  You're guys all start at like rookie level, 40's & 50's out of 100, and you can train them to increase their stats and overall rating.  Also, you can "draft" players with different levels (Rookie, Pro, etc) and depending upon the draft level determines the overall rating of the drafted player.  You "unlock" or earn drafts and the higher level drafts are more difficult to acquire.  

The unique part of this is that you can draft and trade for players on other teams and those players can be on multiple teams, and you can have multiple instances of the same player, usually of different overall ratings.  In theory, this means you could eventually draft, train, and trade for an "all-star" team and those players could be on their true teams too.  

On top of your standard 25 man team, you can have a 40 man "storage" that's a combo of pitchers and position players.  When players are moved into storage, their stats get reset, but you can hold them in case you want to trade them or return them to your roster (unsure if there are injuries).  

Those storage players that you don't want to keep can be used in a couple different ways.  You can also group between 3-5 players (usually lower level) and trade them to get a player of a higher level.  Lower level players can be "released" and used to train better players (see above).  The roster system (trade, train, etc) is kind of different, but it makes for an interesting game.  

The pitching system is unique.  While you select your pitch and location like any game, you then have "meter" that works kind of like how the Madden place kick meter used to work, only it goes in to the center (perfect pitch), back out (bad/mispitch), and repeats.   The better your pitcher, the larger the pitch target and the easier it is to get a normal, good or perfect pitch.  And the opposite is true of poor or fatigued pitchers.  There's an option where you can select to throw a perfect pitch, but each time you do it it takes a larger chunk of your pitcher's stamina than a standard pitch.  There is also an option to pick off baserunners, all you have to do is pick a pitch and then throw to the appropriate base.  

Batting is like many sims.  There's a auto-contact option where the game moves the bat to where the ball is coming and you just have to time the swing.  The other option is manual control where you have to move the bat.  I use the first, because I'm still struggling with figuring out the game's timing.  There is also a bunt option, which seems pretty simple, but I haven't used it yet because I haven't been in a bunt situation.  

Baserunning is rather simple, but effective.  You can set a runners lead from 1-3 steps (defaults to 1) for each at-bat and then advance either individual or all runners and when needed retreat in the same manner.  

Fielding is pretty simple too.  Players are auto so they move to the ball, you just have to pick where to throw the ball.  There are options for direct throws to bases or you can use relays when throwing in from the outfield.  I haven't played with the settings, but I'm guessing you can set the difficulty harder or change fielding off of auto if you're interested.  

As for the basics of the game, pitching, batting, and fielding are probably all on par with a PS3/360 level game.  And the graphics are probably of about the same quality.   All in all, I was rather surprised at the quality of the game considering I'm playing it on my phone.

XBL GT: S7 SockPuppet / PSN ID: DeadSockPuppet
Current  Command: 1st Time Daddy
Clan Command History: Gears of War 3 XO, MW3 Warrant Officer W2
Current PS4 Games: Destiny, Fallout 4, R6 Siege, Uncharted Drake Collection, The Division
Current Xbox 360 Games: None

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MLB PI15

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown on Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:42 pm

Hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it (I'm a Blackberry user, not Android) but even THIS is better than the crap we got on XB1 with R.B.I. This should be ported to XB1 and I'd play it.

Looks like fun!

S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:11 pm

I stumbled on it either from playing another game or just trolling the AppStore for new games, I don't remember which.

I finally won a game 2-0 last night and I'm starting to get the batting timing and a little more confident with the pitching. Kinda sucks that you have to get a SP with like at 60 or higher overall to be able to eek out 6 innings for a win, but if you either have a solid run cushion or good fielding you can scrape together 6 with a pitcher that's in the mid 50s.

I'd definitely suggest you try it out if you have an tablet that can lay it. Like I said, is probably a last gen quality game, but considering current gen don't really have anything it's worth it. And the unique features make it worthwhile.

Current PS4 Games: Destiny, Fallout 4, R6 Siege, Uncharted Drake Collection, The Division

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:18 pm

Gave the vid a quick look and it gives the gameplay a good showing. Doesn't include any of the back office and training, but still worth watching. Oh, and like any good sim the game allows you to sim games so you can spend time building a team and have the AI run the games when your team is low level and not as fun to play.

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown on Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:23 am

DeadSockPuppet wrote:I'd definitely suggest you try it out if you have an tablet that can lay it.  Like I said, is probably a last gen quality game, but considering current gen don't really have anything it's worth it.
Or do what I did and get MLB The Show + PS Vita. I get my daily sim baseball fix now. Playing as the Padres (Matt Kemp) last night for the first time, 2 on and 2 outs when I was distracted by a freakin' plane coming in for a landing in the scenery behind the pitcher....Heard the noise and was like "what the?" next thing I knew he threw the third strike. Struck me out Shocked !

I was too busy saying wow, I didn't expect that on a PS Vita. Pretty cool little handheld, I'm telling you.

S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:10 pm

Some of us don't have the money to buy a Vita, but that plane stuff sounds pretty neat.

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown on Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:06 pm

DeadSockPuppet wrote:Some of us don't have the money to buy a Vita, but that plane stuff sounds pretty neat.  
wait, what scratch ? you're a PS4 guy right?
So what are we talking about. Get MLB The Show!

S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:12 pm

I don't generally put enough time to play a full season so I probably won't buy a game.

Some more info on this game. Using the manual option to control the bat when hitting is a must. It's the only way you really get the ball onto the sweet spot on the bat. Since I started batting manual I've been able to string hits and manufacture some runs.

Also, you can jump from one device to another, but it was a little buggy and took like 10 min to go from my iPhone to the iPad. And for obvious reasons, playing on the iPad is much better and the graphics still keep up.

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:31 am

Sounds like a cool game. Like I said, if they can make this for a phone or iPad I'm uncertain why XB1 owners are stuck with the crap we are for now. Oh well, I guess it leaves the door open for developers on other platforms such as this to shine.

S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:03 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top