tv tuner

View previous topic View next topic Go down

tv tuner

Post by S7 Coolhand on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:41 am

Looking for a low cost way to get my new projector to pick up the clear QAM cable channels and digital locals.  I'm betting one of the free digital converter boxes would work but not sure.  I also am looking at the usb tv tuner sticks and pvr included devices.  Basically I need to go from coaxial cable to hdmi without a cable box.

S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: tv tuner

Post by S7 Coolhand on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:43 am

Based on a reddit thread I am leaning toward homeworx hw-150.

S7 Coolhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:11 am

The usb tuners work real well. You would have to run it though a laptop or pc and then use a dvi  hdmi adapter or if your projector has a pc input u could use that.then you will have to run the sound out of the pc to your stereo or other specker. Microsoft media center is awesome and setup is easy and the dvr and tv menu is a win too. Plus if you use your pc then you have all the functions of the pc . I used to run the same setup and it was nice. Also if you get the pc up with the tv then if the xb1 has the media center extension like the 360 did you can view all the stuff from your pc including the live tv and

S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:34 am

The pj has two hdmi ports.  My laptop has one.  The xb1 has 2 but each is in or out.  In theory I could go from wall to tv tuner stick to pc to xb1 to pj.  But I wonder if the pc would be better on its own using the second pj hdmi... I want to use xb1 to control tv watching, not MS WMC.  Would going through the pc via a usb either hamper this ability or degrade the signal?

S7 Coolhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY on Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:13 pm

This might help.
I purchased this device to run OTA channels through my Xbox One as a way to a) reduce the number of inputs and devices I have to manage and b) use Xbox one's other advantages like the OneGuide and multi-tasking (looking at NFL scores while watching a game, Watching TV in snap while playing a game, etc.).This device does exactly what I expected. Easy to install, passed the HDMI cord directly into the XBOX and Voila!I haven't tried the recording aspect of this yet, but so far for what my purchase intent was this thing has been great so far.My Setup:Xbox OneHome Worx 150Vizio 5.1 Audio system & SoundbarAn Old Mohu Leaf Indoor HDTV AntennaVizio M_Series TVHere are a few tips I have;1) For the XBOX one;* as others have mentioned, choose "MediaSonic" After that, type in HW150, then it will give you the option to choose HW150PVR. Others mentioned a different code N[something], but that didn't work for me. Seems like the Xbox now knows about this unit.* In the Xbox settings, choose "send IR fast" as the default is super slow.* Make sure the HomeWorx unit is in a good place to get the IR blast so it doesn't mess up.* To get the best audio to your xbox, in the HomeWorx menus, choose "RAW HDMI Audio" which your xbox should alsp pass through and will work great with your TV & Sound System.

S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:59 pm

Yeah I read that earlier.  But it is a box and must sit in a cerain area to communicate with the kinect via ir.

I'm wondering if it would not be better to connect a tvtuner usb stick to my laptop, then hdmi the laptop to the xbox1.  Would the xb1 pick up the channels passing thru the pc?  And I am mostly interested clear QAM channels(bassic cable) not OTA.

Anyone know if that will work?

S7 Coolhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:23 pm

Im going to try this when I get home but I don't have the tuner card yet.  It would be cool if everything passed through the xb1 since that's the explanation we got for less power and more cost.

S7 Coolhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 SecurityGuy on Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:34 pm

No surround sound?? I think sound is just as important as the picture.

S7 SecurityGuy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 SecurityGuy

View user profile http://www. GuardogSecurity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller on Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:52 pm

The XBox one is a pass-through, so you will not loose any picture quality from the HDMI. Also, the IR is super powerful. My Kinect is in front of all my equipment (TV, Cable Box, Stereo) and controls them all no problem. 

It will all pass through the HDMI, it's just if the Xbox One has the code to control it (like a universal remote with the IR codes needed). 

edit- and as "in front" I mean the IR and lens facing me with the back of the Kinect to the TV and other equipment.

~mrmiller

We are a brotherhood bound by honor, our strength is in our numbers, we are S7!
*General Disclaimer- I can't type or spell
Clan Founder

S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand on Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:56 pm

For now I'm using cambridge soundworks 4.1 pc speaker system in stereo through my lcd.  It has great sound but is not surround.  I think it is good enough for movies and music for now.  For gaming I mute sound and wear surround headphones, so I am more interested in a 100" display than a minor increase in sound quality.

S7 Coolhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand on Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Yeah Matt I think the blaster bounces off walls but not sure how well that works when the room is very large or long.  I'm also going to need an extension for the kinect wires because I want the xbox back ineasy reach of the couches; that's supposed to come out this month.

S7 Coolhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller on Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Are you going to try and play games on the projector? Be sure you have low input lag, as many projectors can't handle gaming at a competitive level. Playing on a 100 inch screen would be cool if it works!

~mrmiller

Clan Founder

S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller on Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:25 pm

S7 Coolhand wrote:Yeah Matt I think the blaster bounces off walls but not sure how well that works when the room is very large or long.  I'm also going to need an extension for the kinect wires because I want the xbox back ineasy reach of the couches; that's supposed to come out this month.

You are correct, but it bounces and refracts off of everything, not just the walls. Think about going into a pitch black room. It's so dark you can't see the logo on the front of your shirt. Hold a flashlight out in front of you and shine it away from you. Enough light refracts and reflects back that you can see the logo. So unless you are in a big empty warehouse, I think you will get enough for it too work, and the IR baster in the Kinect is super-powerful (you can even see the LED's). I was pretty shocked it would control everything in my room (it's painted dark so it absorbs a lot of light) and the stereo is behind and 7 or 8 feet to the side as well. If not, the Xbox One also has a port or an IR extender you can place right next to your equipment if you need too.

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-40432-Infrared-Emitter/dp/B001DF7EC8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1392161033&sr=8-8&keywords=ir+extender

~mrmiller

Clan Founder

S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 SecurityGuy on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:17 pm

I tried to play on my 125 inch projector and it almost made me sick.  I hated it.

What kind of projector did you get?

S7 SecurityGuy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 SecurityGuy

View user profile http://www. GuardogSecurity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:00 am

Acer K750 laser/led hybrid.

S7 Coolhand