Microsoft Surface

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Microsoft Surface

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:35 am

Did a search and didn't see any topics covering this issue. Also don't ever remember anyone mentioning the tablet so thought I'd ask. Anyone have any experience with or own a Microsoft Surface (any model)? Thinking of buying one for my wife for her B-Day in a few days.

S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Microsoft Surface

Post by S7 mrmiller on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:13 am

I had one and took it back. Mine quit working after a week, and I wasn't impressed enough to keep it and get another. I exchanged it for the HP Hybrid tablet (here, but the Best Buy link doesn't work and you have to edit the "8" to a "B"- www.8estbuy.com/site/pavilion-x2-2-in-1-11-6-touch-screen-laptop-4gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive/2944496.p?id=1219083692395&skuId=2944496&st=pavilion%20x2&cp=1&lp=1 ) which I really like. The think I really didn't like was Windows RT. I'm fine with Windows 8, and actually like it more and more as I use it, but RT is a simplified version that only runs apps. I kept running into apps that wouldn't run on RT and needed the full Windows (like the COD app). Now if I had the money, I would buy a Surface Pro over the hybrid I got. The Pro runs full Windows 8 and has the fast intel processor (regular surface has a mobile processor like in a phone), but is pricey. I must say, the guy at Best Buy had a Surface RT (and had it with him) and he loves it. It just depends on what you want to do with it I guess.

~mrmiller

We are a brotherhood bound by honor, our strength is in our numbers, we are S7!
*General Disclaimer- I can't type or spell
Clan Founder

S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Uncle Charles on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:12 pm

I have the Samsung 7....love it

S7 Uncle Charles
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : Uncle Charles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 KnightOwl on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:19 pm

I looked into surface tablets and they didn't get good reviews. While the new surface 2 got much better reviews the surface 2 pro is what I want in a tablet but way out of my price range. I will be purchasing a 10" to 13" table/laptop in the near future and can offer more input once I get something in my hands to test myself.

Advanced Warfare Game Commander (Retired)

Ghost's Game Commander (Retired)
Black Ops 2 XO (Retired)

Modern Warfare 3 Warrant Officer W1 (Retired)
HomeFront Warrant Officer W3 (Retired)

S7 KnightOwl
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Game Command : Cod Ghost GC, Black ops 2
GamerTag : S7 KnightOwl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:26 pm

She will surely want to have the Windows suite Word, Excel, Power Point, etc. and Microsoft Outlook if possible. Does the windows store have a ton of apps for Surface?

I don't think she needs the Surface "Pro" at the top of the food chain but maybe more than just a basic 32GB Surface-- so would the Surface 2 (middle choice for $450) be the right one?

S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 KnightOwl on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:30 pm

The surface 2 32gb does come with a touch compatible version of the Microsoft office 2013 rt.

Black Ops 2 XO (Retired)

S7 KnightOwl
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 KnightOwl on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:30 pm

also keep in mind that for $450 does not include the keyboard

Black Ops 2 XO (Retired)

S7 KnightOwl
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:33 pm

S7 KnightOwl wrote:The surface 2 32gb does come with a touch compatible version of the Microsoft office 2013 rt.
So this means yes? this is the one to pick?

Also BTW, Miller I checked your link. You paid even MORE for the HP Pavilion!!

S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 KnightOwl on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:39 pm

Yes, The surface 2 would be the way to go.

Tablets running on Windows 8 RT have Office Home & Student 2013 RT (either final or preview version) installed and include the Office 2013 RT versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. Tablets running on Windows 8.1 RT Preview or Windows 8.1 RT (once it's available) also include the Office 2013 RT version of Outlook in addition to the Office 2013 Home & Student RT applications listed above.

Black Ops 2 XO (Retired)

S7 KnightOwl
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:29 pm

S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:
S7 KnightOwl wrote:The surface 2 32gb does come with a touch compatible version of the Microsoft office 2013 rt.
So this means yes? this is the one to pick?

Also BTW, Miller I checked your link. You paid even MORE for the HP Pavilion!!

Not once you figure in the Keyboard and a 128Gig unit (The HP is the same price as the 64 gig Surface 2, and the Surface Keyboard is still another $80-$120 more), and it's also full Windows 8, which you only get on the Pro. I just didn't like RT for it's limitations and wanted a full Windows 8.1 device. The surface is very slick, just very limited with RT and the limited apps on the Windows Store. There are drawbacks the the Pavilion, mainly in battery life. I wrote this up to KnightOwl when discussing the Surface with him:

The kickstand isn't such a big deal to me, as I've been using it with the keyboard/base attached. With the Keyboard on, you don't need the stand, as it holds up the tablet portion more like a laptop and unlike the surface "snap" keyboards. One of the three downsides I have seen is the screen resolution, but I still fail to see why everyone needs everything to be 1080 when you can only see so much on a small screen (the apple retina display is even more than 1080), but maybe that will help it run a bit quicker. Also, there are no USB ports on the tablet. You only have USB on the keyboard. There is a headphone jack on the tablet, and you can add extra memory like the surface on the tablet, as well as even more memory into the keyboard. The 3rd downside is it uses more power. I used it for the entire OU game last night and at the end the battery was pretty drained. I would say it's about a 5 hour use, while the Surface is going to be more like 8 hours. Thatís a bit of a plus/minus, as it has more of a laptop processor, while the Surface has a mobile processor just for tablets and phones.

Besides the bonus of the processor, the full Windows was a big plus for me. I had the surface RT, and just did not like the OS and wanted the full Windows. So that puts the Surface 2 out of the running for me, but the Surface Pro is so expensive. I do think I would rather have the 128gig Surface Pro, but for the price this is just better for me. Also this one has a lot of memory, with 128 gig to start, then adding more memory with the two memory slots (I guess you could add even more in the 2 USB ports, but thatís true on any platform). I like it comes with the real Keyboard and itís solid. It really is a mini laptop that you can detach from the Keyboard.

Here is a hint for you- When I was trying to decide what I wanted to do, I was looking for well over an hour. The salesman told me this, "Just buy the one you think you want, or the less expensive one, and take it home for a few days. We have a 2 week return policy, and if in that time you change your mind or want something else, just come back in an return it. Basically, we give you a 2 week test drive." With that info I knew I couldn't go wrong, as I can swap it out if it doesnít work out.

So far so good, but last night was the first time I really played much with it, besides installing Diablo 3 the first day I got it just to see if it worked. It took me a good 2 hours yesterday †just to do all the Windows Updates, which included a Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 upgrade. You get the same thing on the surface, with a free Windows 8RT to Windows 8.1RT †upgrade as well. †I plan to play on it more this weekend, and get a good feel if this is what I really want.

If you get it from Best Buy, and you know you are going to get "something", you can't go wrong with there return policy. Buy what you think she will like, and if it doesn't work out, take it back and trade for something different. I would honesly go with the Surface Pro if I could afford it, but the Pavilion is going to work well for me (plus it plays Diablo, telling me a little about the processing power of a tablet).

Also, my kids love their Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0", which was only $150.

~mrmiller

Clan Founder

S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:33 am

Thanks for the info Miller, I'll certainly take a look at the Pavilion as well.
Not totally set on the Surface, but it just came to mind as the advertising for it is EVERYWHERE. Sitting watching the NFL games --the halftime show had 5 sitting on the desk for the analyst...it's crazy.
I watched as the NFL referee on one game stuck his head under the review curtain and what was written on the curtain? you guessed it..."Microsoft Surface". It's even on posters behind the bench as the players get warm...it's literally everywhere- so I just thought, let me take a closer look at that.

S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:06 pm

Wanted a Surface Pro until I saw the price. What a joke.

S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY on Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:53 pm

surface pro for $600 still $ and keyboard extra $$

Windows 8 Pro. Runs apps you are currently using on Windows 7 and can be managed by your enterprise IT group.
Processor
3rd generation Intel Core i5 Processor with Intel HD Graphics 4000
Memory
4GB RAMóDual Channel Memory
Storage5
64 GB (approximately 29 GB available for user content), 128 GB (approximately 89 GB available for user content), System software uses significant storage space. Available storage is subject to change based on system software updates and apps usage. 1 GB = 1 billion bytes. See surface.com/storage for more details.
Display
Screen: 10.6" ClearType HD Display, Resolution: 1920x1080, Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (widescreen), Touch: 10-point multi-touch
Pen input
Pen input and Pen (included with purchase)
Audio
Stereo speakers and microphone
Ports
Full-size USB 3.0, microSDXC card reader, Headset jack, MiniDisplay port, Cover port
Exterior
Dimensions: 10.81 x 6.81 x 0.53in, Weight: 2 lbs, Casing: VaporMg , Color: Dark Titanium, Physical buttons: Volume and Power
Cameras
Two 720p HD cameras, front and rear-facing
Wireless
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 4.0 low energy technology

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Pro/productID.275287300?Icid=Homepage_WhatsNew_3_Surface_Pro_010613

S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:27 pm

Add a few hundred more and then swap $ with £... Sad

S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Well her B-Day is the 17th so still thinking, but running out of time fast.

S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:19 pm

Well...went Surface Pro 2 and added a keyboard (blue).
Cool and she's happy so all is good in the world.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:25 pm

Very nice.

~mrmiller

Clan Founder

S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:00 am

Klown, let us know how she is liking it in a few weeks. I'd like to hear a review from someone that's got some time on it.

Clan History: R6 Vegas XO, Chromehounds XO, GoW 1 GC, Homefront XO, GoW 3 GC, Halo 4 GC, COD Ghosts Warrant Officer
***Pwning OC since 2/5/2006

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:32 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top