Killzone getting lukewarm reviews...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Killzone getting lukewarm reviews...

Post by OneBadHuskerFan on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:12 pm

Average score of 74 with 18 critical reviews in so far.  Not horrible, but from what I've seen graphically I expected to see higher.  Kotaku said don't even bother playing it.  That's a surprise.  It will be interesting to see how the exclusive XB1 games compare.


OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 3258
Join date : 2011-11-10
Age : 41
Location : Austin, TX
GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killzone getting lukewarm reviews...

Post by S7 Interseptor on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:31 pm

I'll be getting my copy no later than x-mas, maybe sooner so I'll let you guys know what I think when I get a chance.

_________________
"Console A sucks! Console B is way better and never has problems!
I don't know how to build a cheap PC that out performs both! Rabble rabble!!"


Current PS4 Games: Dirt, Paragon, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3
Current Clan Rank: Clan Adviser
Clan Founder (aka DarkHorse)

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Posts : 8540
Join date : 2008-03-21
Age : 37
Location : Kosciusko, MS
GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killzone getting lukewarm reviews...

Post by OneBadHuskerFan on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:40 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:I'll be getting my copy no later than x-mas, maybe sooner so I'll let you guys know what I think when I get a chance.
Cool.

I'm hoping the critics are just being a little hard on these launch games and while I expect Forza will get some nice reviews, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ryse and Dead Rising 3 get about the same scores as this.  With that said, I've had a blast on plenty of games that have had a lower score than expected so I don't take all of these too seriously.  I was just honestly surprised by this one.

OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 3258
Join date : 2011-11-10
Age : 41
Location : Austin, TX
GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killzone getting lukewarm reviews...

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:41 pm

Sounds like the reviews for a Halo game - Looks pretty, 10-15 hr for campaign, play the MP.  Still think this will be one of my first purchases.

_________________
~~Wife: Yup, I'd shoot you in the leg, cuz then we'd have a crawler.~~
~~Star Wars is like Dirty Dancing for dudes. Nobody puts Chewbacca in a corner, okay?~~
 photo skyrimsig.png
XBL GT: S7 SockPuppet / PSN ID: DeadSockPuppet
Current  Command: 1st Time Daddy
Clan Command History: Gears of War 3 XO, MW3 Warrant Officer W2
Current PS4 Games: Destiny, Fallout 4, R6 Siege, Uncharted Drake Collection, The Division
Current Xbox 360 Games: None

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
Posts : 6735
Join date : 2010-03-01
Age : 36
Location : Hudsonville, MI
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killzone getting lukewarm reviews...

Post by S7 Interseptor on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Yeah, I was a little surprised too.  Still mostly positive reviews and I am looking forward to playing it.  I have really enjoyed the series so far and expect this to live up to the past titles and even surpass it in terms of MP.  Should be a lot of fun.

_________________
"Console A sucks! Console B is way better and never has problems!
I don't know how to build a cheap PC that out performs both! Rabble rabble!!"


Current PS4 Games: Dirt, Paragon, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3
Current Clan Rank: Clan Adviser
Clan Founder (aka DarkHorse)

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Posts : 8540
Join date : 2008-03-21
Age : 37
Location : Kosciusko, MS
GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killzone getting lukewarm reviews...

Post by Atrum on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:28 pm

Doesn't Killzone have a history of overhyping and getting bad reviews? I'm sure it's going to be just as solid as the previous games, it just seems to be something their marketing guys do.

_________________

Clan History: R6 Vegas XO, Chromehounds XO, GoW 1 GC, Homefront XO, GoW 3 GC, Halo 4 GC, COD Ghosts Warrant Officer
***Pwning OC since 2/5/2006

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Posts : 7824
Join date : 2010-02-28
Age : 27
Location : Spokane, WA
GamerTag : AtrumX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killzone getting lukewarm reviews...

Post by S7 Epic on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:26 pm

OneBadHuskerFan wrote:
S7 Interseptor wrote:I'll be getting my copy no later than x-mas, maybe sooner so I'll let you guys know what I think when I get a chance.
Cool.

I'm hoping the critics are just being a little hard on these launch games and while I expect Forza will get some nice reviews, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ryse and Dead Rising 3 get about the same scores as this.  With that said, I've had a blast on plenty of games that have had a lower score than expected so I don't take all of these too seriously.  I was just honestly surprised by this one.
Ryse is my pick to be the best launch exclusive.

S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 3130
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 28
Location : Leeds, UK
GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killzone getting lukewarm reviews...

Post by S7 Interseptor on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:46 pm

S7 Epic wrote:
OneBadHuskerFan wrote:
S7 Interseptor wrote:I'll be getting my copy no later than x-mas, maybe sooner so I'll let you guys know what I think when I get a chance.
Cool.

I'm hoping the critics are just being a little hard on these launch games and while I expect Forza will get some nice reviews, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ryse and Dead Rising 3 get about the same scores as this.  With that said, I've had a blast on plenty of games that have had a lower score than expected so I don't take all of these too seriously.  I was just honestly surprised by this one.
Ryse is my pick to be the best launch exclusive.
I would be very surprised at that personally.  Maybe I just haven't seen it in the right light but Ryse strikes me as mediocre at best.  I suspect Forza 5 gets rave reviews, DR3 and Ryse getting OK reviews.

_________________
"Console A sucks! Console B is way better and never has problems!
I don't know how to build a cheap PC that out performs both! Rabble rabble!!"


Current PS4 Games: Dirt, Paragon, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3
Current Clan Rank: Clan Adviser
Clan Founder (aka DarkHorse)

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Posts : 8540
Join date : 2008-03-21
Age : 37
Location : Kosciusko, MS
GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killzone getting lukewarm reviews...

Post by S7 Epic on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:13 pm

Well, Forza is perhaps the obvious choice but I think Ryse has a lot of areas where it can score big and potentially edge Forza out.

- Graphics, to showcase the power of the XB1 (Forza is arguably prettier but it's only a racing game.)
- Gameplay (cross between Arkham and Assassins Creed)
- New, Exclusive IP

My guess is that both this and Forza will be a few points either side of 85/100.

When the 22nd comes, make no mistakes, I'll be logging plenty of hours on Forza....but which game is going in the disk tray first? For me, it has to be Ryse.

S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 3130
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 28
Location : Leeds, UK
GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killzone getting lukewarm reviews...

Post by Atrum on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:21 pm

I always find it hard to compare racing game visuals to other games. Ryse looks impressive but I'm still undecided on buying it as it kinda strikes me as a quick 1-time play-through type game. (Like Kameo was to the 360)

_________________

Clan History: R6 Vegas XO, Chromehounds XO, GoW 1 GC, Homefront XO, GoW 3 GC, Halo 4 GC, COD Ghosts Warrant Officer
***Pwning OC since 2/5/2006

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Posts : 7824
Join date : 2010-02-28
Age : 27
Location : Spokane, WA
GamerTag : AtrumX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killzone getting lukewarm reviews...

Post by OneBadHuskerFan on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:26 pm

AtrumX wrote:I always find it hard to compare racing game visuals to other games. Ryse looks impressive but I'm still undecided on buying it as it kinda strikes me as a quick 1-time play-through type game. (Like Kameo was to the 360)
This has been my thinking, which is why it's in my first Gamefly slot, but no plans on buying it.  The only games I buy are ones that I think will have plenty of replayability, which is mainly MP games for the most part.  SP games I can just get from Gamefly.

OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 3258
Join date : 2011-11-10
Age : 41
Location : Austin, TX
GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killzone getting lukewarm reviews...

Post by S7 mrmiller on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:26 pm

AtrumX wrote:Doesn't Killzone have a history of overhyping and getting bad reviews? I'm sure it's going to be just as solid as the previous games, it just seems to be something their marketing guys do.
This. I was disappointed with the first one, but it wasn't that bad of a game. It happens all the time when things get a ton of pre-release hype (movies too). If you go in with low expectations, it's probably going to be better than you thought.


~mrmiller

_________________

We are a brotherhood bound by honor, our strength is in our numbers, we are S7!
*General Disclaimer- I can't type or spell
Clan Founder

S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Posts : 6123
Join date : 2008-03-19
Location : Oklahoma
GamerTag : mrmiller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killzone getting lukewarm reviews...

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:37 pm

Wasn't the Killzone series slated as a "Halo Killer" and it never really got the following of Halo?  Either way, what I've seen looks sexy and even if it's not a "Halo Killer" and it doesn't live up to the hype, I've never played a Killzone game so it will be something shiny and new to me.

_________________
~~Wife: Yup, I'd shoot you in the leg, cuz then we'd have a crawler.~~
~~Star Wars is like Dirty Dancing for dudes. Nobody puts Chewbacca in a corner, okay?~~
 photo skyrimsig.png
XBL GT: S7 SockPuppet / PSN ID: DeadSockPuppet
Current  Command: 1st Time Daddy
Clan Command History: Gears of War 3 XO, MW3 Warrant Officer W2
Current PS4 Games: Destiny, Fallout 4, R6 Siege, Uncharted Drake Collection, The Division
Current Xbox 360 Games: None

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
Posts : 6735
Join date : 2010-03-01
Age : 36
Location : Hudsonville, MI
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killzone getting lukewarm reviews...

Post by Atrum on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:55 am

S7 SockPuppet wrote:Wasn't the Killzone series slated as a "Halo Killer" and it never really got the following of Halo?  Either way, what I've seen looks sexy and even if it's not a "Halo Killer" and it doesn't live up to the hype, I've never played a Killzone game so it will be something shiny and new to me.
Yup, they've thrown a ton of money into making it the 'Halo Killer' as you said. Halo ended up committing suicide all on its own though. lol.
It'll definitely be a fun/shiny shooter.

_________________

Clan History: R6 Vegas XO, Chromehounds XO, GoW 1 GC, Homefront XO, GoW 3 GC, Halo 4 GC, COD Ghosts Warrant Officer
***Pwning OC since 2/5/2006

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Posts : 7824
Join date : 2010-02-28
Age : 27
Location : Spokane, WA
GamerTag : AtrumX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killzone getting lukewarm reviews...

Post by S7 Interseptor on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:10 am

And despite all there "Halo Killer" talk it always felt a lot more like Gears to me.  Aside from being 1st person, the weight and movement felt more like Gears plus all the blood/gore etc...

_________________
"Console A sucks! Console B is way better and never has problems!
I don't know how to build a cheap PC that out performs both! Rabble rabble!!"


Current PS4 Games: Dirt, Paragon, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3
Current Clan Rank: Clan Adviser
Clan Founder (aka DarkHorse)

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Posts : 8540
Join date : 2008-03-21
Age : 37
Location : Kosciusko, MS
GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killzone getting lukewarm reviews...

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:24 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum