Tooth Fairy in our economy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tooth Fairy in our economy

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:29 am

So we were talking about how much the Tooth Fairy leaves now vs when we were kids (since Matt had to Tooth Fairy last night) and I happen to come across this article on Time.com so I thought I'd share for those with little kids.  

From Time.com:

Baby-Tooth Bubble: Has the Tooth Fairy Lost Her Mind?

The Tooth Fairy is one girl gone wild. Some kids are getting $50 a tooth and the average bounty is up 42% in two years. Here's what the trend says about the economy and our collective parenting skills.

By Dan Kadlec @dankadlec Aug. 30,2013

You may not believe in the Tooth Fairy, but she believes in you and the U.S. economy in a big way. The winged pixie this year is leaving a bountiful $3.70 per tooth, on average. That’s up 23% from last year and up 42% from two years ago, according to an annual Visa survey.

This surge in generosity coincides with a strengthening economic recovery: The stock market is up this year and home prices have begun to rebound. Second quarter GDP was just revised to an annual rate of 2.5%, up from an initial estimate of 1.7% and well above economists’ expectations. Many believe the third and fourth quarters will show further improvement.

So it may make sense that the Tooth Fairy is cutting loose. But it’s starting to look like, well, a baby-tooth bubble. The mythical figure “visits” 90% of homes with kids and her largesse varies widely at each stop. Some 2% of children get $50 for an incisor, a sum so outrageous it deserves comment.

“Kids are obsessed with the Tooth Fairy,” says Jason Alderman, who runs Visa’s financial literacy initiative. “Losing a tooth creates a great opportunity to talk about money with them. But telling them their tooth is worth $50 is counterproductive. It devalues the dollar in their eyes.”

Such households are outliers, of course. But don’t assume the biggest payments are made in the biggest houses. The younger the parent and the lower the income, the bigger the molar bounty, Visa found. The most common payout is $1 per tooth. But parents aged 18-24 give an average $5.20 and parents earning less than $25,000 a year give an average $4.10.

This smacks of competitive tooth fairying. “Parents really are paranoid about their kids getting as much as their friends,” says Alderman. With the amounts being so small to begin with, just about any household can afford to go large. Young parents do it out of inexperience; low-income households do it as an easy way to keep up or even best higher-income neighbors or schoolmates.

Education seems to play a role as well. The longer parents were in school the less the Tooth Fairy leaves under their kids’ pillow, Visa found. To help parents get it right, Visa sponsors a free Tooth Fairy Calculator app at the iTunes store andanother on Facebook.

A little pixie dust on the pillow really does offer parents a chance to begin the discussion about money with their kids, who should start learning as early as three. On its highly regarded website,moneyasyougrow.org, the federal government says at:

• Ages 3-5 A child should come to understand that you need money to buy things; you earn money by working; you may have to wait before you can buy what you want; there’s a difference between what you want and what you need.
  • Ages 6-10 A child should come to understand that you must make choices about how to spend your money; you should shop around for the best deal; it is dangerous and costly to share too much information online; putting your money in a bank account will protect it and earn interest.
  • Ages 11-13 A child should come to understand that it is smart to save 10% of what you earn; entering credit card or Social Security numbers online puts you at risk of identity theft; the earlier you save the more you’ll have in the long run; a credit card is a loan and you will owe more than you spent if you do not pay your bill in full each month.

Why not get them started with that first lost tooth? You can talk about budgeting, saving, and giving while they are still buzzing with excitement over their mysterious payday.

XBL GT: S7 SockPuppet / PSN ID: DeadSockPuppet
Current  Command: 1st Time Daddy
Clan Command History: Gears of War 3 XO, MW3 Warrant Officer W2
Current PS4 Games: Destiny, Fallout 4, R6 Siege, Uncharted Drake Collection, The Division
Current Xbox 360 Games: None

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tooth Fairy in our economy

Post by S7 KnightOwl on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:36 am

Good article, pretty interesting read. they really do have an app for everything.

Advanced Warfare Game Commander (Retired)

Ghost's Game Commander (Retired)
Black Ops 2 XO (Retired)

Modern Warfare 3 Warrant Officer W1 (Retired)
HomeFront Warrant Officer W3 (Retired)

S7 KnightOwl
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Game Command : Cod Ghost GC, Black ops 2
GamerTag : S7 KnightOwl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:45 am

LOL- too funny. Mine get between 4 and 8 quarters, depending on what I have on me. She hit the jackpot last night with a full $2 worth.

~mrmiller

We are a brotherhood bound by honor, our strength is in our numbers, we are S7!
*General Disclaimer- I can't type or spell
Clan Founder

S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:04 pm

What 11 year old kid is saving 10% of everything they make? lol

Clan History: R6 Vegas XO, Chromehounds XO, GoW 1 GC, Homefront XO, GoW 3 GC, Halo 4 GC, COD Ghosts Warrant Officer
***Pwning OC since 2/5/2006

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:25 pm

AtrumX wrote:What 11 year old kid is saving 10% of everything they make? lol

that

Clan Founder

S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Exactly.  I just thought it was ironic that we had been discussing this for a bit last night while pwning in Blops 2 and then I saw the article on their site in the morning.  I remember getting like 50 cents when I was little.

XBL GT: S7 SockPuppet / PSN ID: DeadSockPuppet
Current  Command: 1st Time Daddy
Clan Command History: Gears of War 3 XO, MW3 Warrant Officer W2
Current PS4 Games: Destiny, Fallout 4, R6 Siege, Uncharted Drake Collection, The Division
Current Xbox 360 Games: None

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky on Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:44 pm

well i know my cousin little girl is getting $5 a tooth.... i would have killed for that

i think mine was .75 cents  but back then i was like hell ya

Clan Founder

S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor on Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:51 pm

Mine get $1 per tooth.

Current PS4 Games: Dirt, Paragon, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3
Current Clan Rank: Clan Adviser
Clan Founder (aka DarkHorse)

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 SecurityGuy on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:43 pm

Tightwad fuckers...I normally gave my kids at least a five. Tried to do a ten on the first one.

S7 SecurityGuy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 SecurityGuy

View user profile http://www. GuardogSecurity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Evol Recovery on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:32 pm

I too revived a dollar per tooth. Also god a dollar for every black eye lol

Evol Recovery
Sergeant
Sergeant