IGN NEWS: CLIFF BLESZINSKI SPEAKS OUT ON USED GAMES

View previous topic View next topic Go down

IGN NEWS: CLIFF BLESZINSKI SPEAKS OUT ON USED GAMES

Post by S7 Sticky on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:31 pm

have to watch the 3 mins video  looks like some devs are all for it....  and it makes sense 

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/13/ign-news-cliff-bleszinski-speaks-out-on-used-games?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

Clan Founder

S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: IGN NEWS: CLIFF BLESZINSKI SPEAKS OUT ON USED GAMES

Post by Atrum on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:34 pm

No view at work... summary?

Clan History: R6 Vegas XO, Chromehounds XO, GoW 1 GC, Homefront XO, GoW 3 GC, Halo 4 GC, COD Ghosts Warrant Officer
***Pwning OC since 2/5/2006

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:50 pm

Maybe this helps?

Speaking via Twitter, Bleszinski posted several seemingly frustrated comments expressing his support of the Xbox One's move towards a DRM-controlled used game market.

"You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing. The numbers do NOT work people," he said.

"The visual fidelity and feature sets we expect from games now come with sky high costs. Assasins Creed games are made by thousands of devs.

"Newsflash. This is why you're seeing free to play and microtransactions everywhere. The disc based day one $60 model is crumbling.

"Those of you telling me 'then just lower game budgets' do understand how silly you sound, right?" said Bleszinski.

He also weighed on the debate surrounding the Xbox One's mandatory online check-ins every 24 hours, which will render the console unplayable to anyone without internet access.

"If you can afford high speed internet and you can't get it where you live direct your rage at who is responsible for pipe blocking you," he said.

This mirrors previous comments from the designer, who in March spoke in defense of an always-online future he views as a strong likelihood.

Legendary Nintendo designer Shigeru Miyamoto told CVG this week that piracy is a bigger threat to his company's business than the used games market.

Current Xbox Game(s):
Current PC Game(s): Tales of Zestiria
Current 3DS Game(s):
Current Wii U Game(s):

Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Xpert2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:54 pm

Found this in the comments section and found it very well said...

There is no other product sold that has has this kind of protection from being sold used. That being said there are very few products that have entire markets based around them being sold used. It's hard to say what's "right" in this situation. But what I will say is that its very anti-consumer. We as average consumers get no benefits with used game restrictions. Also keep in mind that 15 years from now when all of the games are out of print, people might want to go back and buy a used, out of print game, and play it. Of course we wont be able to if the used game market doesn't exist. We should have the right to sell our property. I understand that developers are having a real tough time with the used games cannibalizing their sales numbers. There just has got to be another way to entice people to buy new then restrict the resell of your games entirely.

Current PS4 Games: Dirt, Paragon, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3
Current Clan Rank: Clan Adviser
Clan Founder (aka DarkHorse)

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:54 pm

here are the tweets he put up

you can not have Game and marketing budgets this high while aslo having used and rental games existing . The numbers do NOT work people

The visual fidelity and feature sets we expect  from games now come with sky high cost. Assassins creed games are made by thousands  of devs. 

News Flash this is why your seeing  free to play and microtransactions everywhere. the disc  based day one $60  model is crumbling  

replying to his followers feedback

those of you telling me  "then just lower game budgets" do understand how silly you sound.right?

Clan Founder

S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:08 pm

If someone wants to play a game 15 years from now, I'm sure it'll be a cheap digital download by then...

Current Xbox Game(s):
Current 3DS Game(s):
Current Wii U Game(s):

Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:16 pm

What if said game was not popular enough to warrant the digital treatment?  Not every game is available for digital DL day 1 on the 360.

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xpert2010 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Does't sound like it's the case for Xbox One

Current Xbox Game(s):
Current 3DS Game(s):
Current Wii U Game(s):

Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Interesting comments, pretty much what you'd expect from a high profile dev.

It could be seen as anti-consumer, then again there is such a massive demand on high quality, feature-ridden games that it makes sense they need to do what they can to improve cash flow. Since I tend to go out of my way to support companies I like, I don't mind their efforts.

I just hope the industry is ready to adapt to lower initial sales, but higher post-launch sales on good games.

Clan History: R6 Vegas XO, Chromehounds XO, GoW 1 GC, Homefront XO, GoW 3 GC, Halo 4 GC, COD Ghosts Warrant Officer

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:48 pm

A lot of it will have to do with the success of the XTV.  Seeing as the PS4 is remaining the same and PC's will keep doing what ever it is PC's are doing that leaves the XTV out in the cold.  If the XTV sell through well, it should be a big success.  If sales fall short it won't matter if it works cause they will not have the install base to make it worth while.  M4 has made a bold move.  Should be interesting to see if it pays off.

I mean Apple killed off the floopy disk back when it was still in common use but it turned out to be the right move and helped people adopt CD's.  Time will tell if it was a smart move.

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Seems to me like the name of the game these days is Innovation. PS4 is trying to sit on what they had going with the PS3 + more power. I appreciate that xbox is trying to push new ideas. Hopefully they end up being good ideas (we'll know once we can use them) or they will definitely have issues.

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:20 pm

I would not say the PS4 is sitting on what it had, it's just not changing used games sales model.  There is plenty of innovation going on.  Instant access to DL games with background DL'ing.  Background title and system updates.  Auto-up dating if you are connected to the internet while the system is offline.  Cloud gaming.  Self-Publishing.  Region Free.  Touch Screen on the controller.  Watching live and taking over for a friend in a game.  Live game streaming.  Access to all games via digital DL (which they actually do now too). and several more.

I agree that the XTV is also doing a fair share of innovating, especially with cloud computing but let's be fair here.

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:28 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:I would not say the PS4 is sitting on what it had, it's just not changing used games sales model.  There is plenty of innovation going on.  Instant access to DL games with background DL'ing.  Background title and system updates.  Auto-up dating if you are connected to the internet while the system is offline.  Cloud gaming.  Self-Publishing.  Region Free.  Touch Screen on the controller.  Watching live and taking over for a friend in a game.  Live game streaming.  Access to all games via digital DL (which they actually do now too). and several more.

I agree that the XTV is also doing a fair share of innovating, especially with cloud computing but let's be fair here.

Crossed out things that don't count as innovation. I am glad (not at all surprised) to see cloud gaming becoming a big presence. We're also long over-due on the game streaming from the consoles.

The only thing I see that is innovative in the PS4 is the session viewing/takeover - which is very cool.

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:40 pm

Not sure I agree with you on what is innovative.  These are all major steps forward from the current console generation and features not currently available.  For example, instantly being able to play DL titles is a big innovation in pushing the Digital DL sales model.  And we are not talking pre-orders that are DL'd in advance but any game.  On a whim you go shopping on the PSN, find a game, buy it and start playing immediately.  I am not aware of any current tech that allows that or that is in use today.

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:43 pm

One of the big hold back for me on the Digital model is having to wait for games to DL before playing.  So I go to the store/rent a physical copy to I can play as soon as I get home.  This alleviates that problem and lets me shop from home and play instantly.  This is even faster and more convenient.

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:46 pm

The quote tool is broken, just sayin'

I listed the instant access to dl's as innovative. That's very cool.

Edit: Looked back, that strikethrough wasn't supposed to go through the second part of that sentence about DLs

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:48 pm

You know the PSDragon can do the downloads in playable chunks, so you can essentially play it whilst it's downloading...?

S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:58 pm

It can also play basically play digital versions of the game while you download them.

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evol Recovery on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:50 pm

I have to admit when I saw the Sony press conference I thought this console is just a Xbox 360 with better graphics and their presentation was just to slam the Xbox One. I will be laughing when they release the PS5 in a few years and everyone rushes out to spend another $399.

Evol Recovery
Sergeant
Sergeant

GamerTag : PSN.....Evolrevel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DerangeMaverick on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:24 pm

totally unmerited.   This isnt a cell phone where there's a new one every year.   Systems will have long life spans.   The same can be said about Microsoft that they'll release a new system in a few years if the x bone fails to meet expectations.   They're already saying ps4 is out pre-ordering the xbox one.  

Don't buy usedgames nor do I gamefly it.   This isnt that big of a deal to me.   

Either way Sony press confrence was a jab at Microsoft but a well landed Jab that's has alot of people now debating whether to buy a ps4 or xbox one.  I hate to say it but I might end up going with Zak and getting a ps4 first.  If I get a xbone it would be because of you guys not the games as destiny and the division are the two games I'm looking forward to the most.

DerangeMaverick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : DerangeMaverick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:11 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top