More Xbox 720/Durango News

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

More Xbox 720/Durango News

Post by S7 mrmiller on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:10 pm

I thought this was a cool screen grab. With the need to DL games to the HD, many are seeing it as a sign that no used/rented games will work and you must have an always on connection, but I don't know that is a sure thing. You might have to initially be connected to the internet to validate the game install and that may ward of some pirating, but I wouldn't say that is a sure thing for no used or rented games. Plus, that doesn't mean that after it's installed you have to be online always to play either. Anyhow, check it out below (you might have to zoom in to read it well, and it's not that clear of a screen shot either).

http://boygeniusreport.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/durango-xdk5.jpg

~mrmiller

We are a brotherhood bound by honor, our strength is in our numbers, we are S7!
*General Disclaimer- I can't type or spell
Clan Founder

S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More Xbox 720/Durango News

Post by S7 OC on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:54 pm

I saw this the other day and was going to post but forgot. Any way I'm not sold this is going to be the final way things go ill wait to hear it from Microsoft when they actually have an event. Cool info none the less

Clan Founder

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:00 pm

The PS4 is also suspected of the same things. They even talked about DL'ing the game while you play at the PS conference. It will DL in the background so you don't have to wait. I am sure this is the same thing. Nothing has been said about always on connection and I don't expect that to change. I also suspect that rental/used games will be playable, just not sure if you might have to pay a fee or what.

Bottom line, it will not be that different from the PS4.

Current PS4 Games: Dirt, Paragon, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3
Current Clan Rank: Clan Adviser
Clan Founder (aka DarkHorse)

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:01 pm

they know either route they take people will still buy it
i just hope d3 comes to xbox so i can play with all u noobs... and i hope there is a way to port my pc barb over to xbox

Clan Founder

S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:02 pm

S7 Sticky wrote:they know either route they take people will still buy it
i just hope d3 comes to xbox so i can play with all u noobs... and i hope there is a way to port my pc barb over to xbox

It won't matter if you can bring it or not - with the time you put in to D3 you'll be way ahead of everyone in no time with a new char xD

Clan History: R6 Vegas XO, Chromehounds XO, GoW 1 GC, Homefront XO, GoW 3 GC, Halo 4 GC, COD Ghosts Warrant Officer
***Pwning OC since 2/5/2006

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuntentatsu on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:55 pm

S7 Sticky wrote:they know either route they take people will still buy it

I believe they already confirmed that you won't be able to port characters between the platforms.

I'll update later when I find the article.

Shuntentatsu
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : shuntentatsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:21 pm

That looks like a developer's packet giving an overview of the hardware they should expect and all the ins and outs of making their software interface well with the box and OS. I'd say that anything there is fairly concrete despite their "subject to change" clause. The major stuff won't change. It might be possible to disable some of the "features" though, like the always on always connected. I'll bet the optical drive is only used to load games to the harddrive or play cd/dvd/br. Most of us who will leave it connected will probably gravitate to just downloading the games online rather than making a trip for a disk that will only be used once. As it is if you change consoles with the current version you can download anything you purchased online once you load your profile on the new box. Wish they had shown a screen capture of the "Durango Specs" link.

S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:14 am

I still hoping for a Xbox that doesn't have a optical drive at all! Just let me dl the game for less then <$60, and make the console $100 bucks cheaper.I already have a bad ass blu ray player (ps3)

S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 SecurityGuy on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:09 am

S7 DROOPY wrote:I still hoping for a Xbox that doesn't have a optical drive at all! Just let me dl the game for less then <$60, and make the console $100 bucks cheaper.I already have a bad ass blu ray player (ps3)

Game prices will NOT decrease with lack of physical media. They will still be the same price. It only takes a few cents to make that dvd and cover.

S7 SecurityGuy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 SecurityGuy

View user profile http://www. GuardogSecurity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:00 am

S7 SecurityGuy wrote:
S7 DROOPY wrote:I still hoping for a Xbox that doesn't have a optical drive at all! Just let me dl the game for less then <$60, and make the console $100 bucks cheaper.I already have a bad ass blu ray player (ps3)

Game prices will NOT decrease with lack of physical media. They will still be the same price. It only takes a few cents to make that dvd and cover.

Sad but true. They could...but won't.

S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:49 am

You guys are all missing the big picture....I just want an Xbox that doesn't sound like it is preparing for take-off all the d@mn time.

Last edited by S7 Epic on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:35 pm

S7 Epic wrote:You guys are all missing the most big picture....I just want an Xbox that doesn't sound like it is preparing for take-off all the d@mn time.

That's an added feature. It really draws the player in when they aren't sure if their xbox is going to explode at any moment. Even after 'shutting down'

Clan History: R6 Vegas XO, Chromehounds XO, GoW 1 GC, Homefront XO, GoW 3 GC, Halo 4 GC, COD Ghosts Warrant Officer

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:02 pm

people still dont have a slim?

Clan Founder

S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:36 pm

S7 Sticky wrote:people still dont have a slim?

Some people have other things to spend their money on.

S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:59 pm

I thought this was an interesting perspective from an analyst at Forbes in talking about if Sony plays used/rented games, them MS must also or will loose the console "war". We can think what we want, and look forward to things that would cater to gamers, but always remember it's really just a business decision by a major corporation looking to make a profit and keep shareholders happy.

Your assertion is that “If Microsoft blocks used games, then people who buy used games won’t buy a Microsoft console, and Microsoft will lose”. Which sounds true on the surface, but if you actually break down the issue, you’ll find that in such a scenario Microsoft wins. Big.

First, remember that the sale of a console costs the manufacturer money. Second, recall that the manufacturer and Publisher does not profit from the sale of a used game. Basically, a person who only plays used games costs the manufacturer money for the console, and it’s never recovered, that person is not only not a revenue generator, he’s literally an expense.

So what happens if Microsoft blocks used games?

First, Microsoft doesn’t actually lose money. If the person who only or mostly plays used games doesn’t buy MS’s console, MS doesn’t take a loss on the sale. That event alone improves the profitability of the console.

Second, those people go over to Sony. So instead of both MS and Sony taking a share of a population that causes them to lose money, Sony shoulders the entire burden alone. Sony is left trying to recover the losses from only a portion of their customers, while the other portion never ends up being a revenue generator. The more consoles Sony sells, the more money it loses. Selling 20 million consoles isn’t all that great when only 5 million of them are ever going to generate revenue for you. In contrast, if MS sells 5 million consoles, all 5 million of them will generate revenue and recover the loss of the sale.

Third, Publishers will do to Sony what they do to the PC. Staggered releases and/or barebones releases. If the Publisher sees it can get revenue from 100% of the sales on the 720, and only a percentage on the PS4, they’ll very quickly make sure that the PS4 release is weeks behind the 720′s in order to “Encourage” people to buy it on the 720.

Over a period of a few years, Sony will have massive problems as it shoulders the entire burden of used gamers who never generate revenue, and Publishers who see it as a “Freeloader” platform.

People keep making the mistake of thinking that Microsoft’s making a mistake, when in truth, they’d be making a brilliant move that would end up killing Sony.”

You can also throw in the revenue that MS generates directly for Xbox live, and that increases the profitability even more.

~mrmiller

Clan Founder

S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:15 pm

Not a bad outlook but way too optimistic. Using the numbers provided above, if the PS4 sold 20 million and the 720 only 5 million, Microsoft would be in big trouble for this cycle of consoles. Publishers would be lining up to publish on the PS4. Cause you are going to sell to the same 5 million legit customers on either platform, and some % of the remaining PS4 customers will buy occasional games even if they mostly buy used. Not to mention rental companies that purchase games. At the end of the day more copies would sell on the PS4. Especially if it is a 4:1 ration of hardware for each platform. This would also mean better exclusives and early releases for the PS4, not the 720. Then you throw in FREE online gaming?

If the 720 blocks used games and the PS4 allows it, I will be first in line to buy a PS4. And maybe I am the exception, but I spend a lot of money on games (even though I am an evil renter). I easily own 75+ 360/PS3 games that were bought new.

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:24 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:Not a bad outlook but way too optimistic. Using the numbers provided above, if the PS4 sold 20 million and the 720 only 5 million, Microsoft would be in big trouble for this cycle of consoles. Publishers would be lining up to publish on the PS4. Cause you are going to sell to the same 5 million legit customers on either platform, and some % of the remaining PS4 customers will buy occasional games even if they mostly buy used. Not to mention rental companies that purchase games. At the end of the day more copies would sell on the PS4. Especially if it is a 4:1 ration of hardware for each platform. This would also mean better exclusives and early releases for the PS4, not the 720. Then you throw in FREE online gaming?

If the 720 blocks used games and the PS4 allows it, I will be first in line to buy a PS4. And maybe I am the exception, but I spend a lot of money on games (even though I am an evil renter). I easily own 75+ 360/PS3 games that were bought new.

You'll still buy the 720. No one buys a Playstation for online gaming. Single-player, sure.

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:37 pm

AtrumX wrote:
S7 Interseptor wrote:Not a bad outlook but way too optimistic. Using the numbers provided above, if the PS4 sold 20 million and the 720 only 5 million, Microsoft would be in big trouble for this cycle of consoles. Publishers would be lining up to publish on the PS4. Cause you are going to sell to the same 5 million legit customers on either platform, and some % of the remaining PS4 customers will buy occasional games even if they mostly buy used. Not to mention rental companies that purchase games. At the end of the day more copies would sell on the PS4. Especially if it is a 4:1 ration of hardware for each platform. This would also mean better exclusives and early releases for the PS4, not the 720. Then you throw in FREE online gaming?

You'll still buy the 720. No one buys a Playstation for online gaming. Single-player, sure.

I bought mine for the Blu-Ray player and GT5.

Come PS4, I can't think of a single reason for me to buy one.

S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:43 pm

Gonna agree with epic, I've only played 1 game on my ps3 about 4 years ago and I borrowed it from my brother. Not to mention I bought my ps3 with money I made from selling my old Xbox games.

S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:44 pm

i played alot of games on my ps3 god of war,killzone

also is a solid blue ray player

but agreed with EPIC i am not going to buy a ps4

Clan Founder

S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Actually the PS3 works fine online. The biggest drawbacks currently with the PS3 is the updates take FOREVER but that has already been addressed and should no longer be a problem on the PS4. And the other draw back is the inability to cross-chat from one game to a different game. That should also be fixed with the PS4. The games themselves play fine online for both consoles. Can you tell me why the 360 is better online other than what I mentioned?

The biggest reason I play the 360 is cause that is where my friends are (and it was the first console I bought, cause it was the first console out). Turns out it is also better online for this generation but I don't expect that to hold for the next gen.

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:08 pm

Xbox has always been way ahead of playstation in online play and development. Right now you're comparing PS4 promises to the Xbox 360.
That's like comparing the Xbox 360 to the PS2.

You gotta compare the same generation. Yes, the PS4 seems pretty comparable to the 360. Which will get it up to the point where the online play is stable and very usable. It will be interesting to see how the stack up when they're actually released. I recall the PS3 making claims to be the same thing as XBL but free, and that didn't turn out.

It would be nice if it's really up to par. I missed out on Journey this gen, would like a reason to get a PS4

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:16 pm

AtrumX wrote:Xbox has always been way ahead of playstation in online play and development. Right now you're comparing PS4 promises to the Xbox 360.
That's like comparing the Xbox 360 to the PS2.

You gotta compare the same generation. Yes, the PS4 seems pretty comparable to the 360. Which will get it up to the point where the online play is stable and very usable. It will be interesting to see how the stack up when they're actually released. I recall the PS3 making claims to be the same thing as XBL but free, and that didn't turn out.

It would be nice if it's really up to par. I missed out on Journey this gen, would like a reason to get a PS4

No, I was asking why the 360 is better online than the PS3. Can you actually tell me why you think the 360 is better? (again, aside for the cross chat and long update issues that I already mentioned.) I see it all the time... "THE XBOX 360 is FAR SUPERIOR to PS3 ONLINE!" but no one ever actually explaines why it is so. Is it cause we pay $60 a year and therefor it must be better? Cause I have both and personally I don't see it.

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:35 pm

As far as features go, they're pretty comparable.
The download speeds you see are indicative of their network programming and implementation, along with a myriad of other factors.

My breakdown of the two:

Features : About equal.

Programming : XBL

User Interface : XBL

If the PS4 has a better UI and improved their networking and server setup the services should be identical. Now if only I don't have to deal with the playstation controller any more xD

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:01 pm

The UI is terrible on the PS3, and I hate it even when only watching movies. When PS3 first came out and I was playing SOCOM with other members, the online features were terrible. You couldn't form parties, see your Friends list, send messages, or anything once you were in the game unless it was supported by the game itself. Since then Sony has implemented a lot of updates and changes (besides the terrible crossbar UI) and most of what is possible on 360 is now available on PS3.

Anyhow, this tread is not to debate which is better of the two, but a look into the next Xbox features. My point with the last post with the quote from Forbes is- whatever MS (or Sony or Nintendo for that matter) does, it is going to be in an effort to maximize profits and not to necessarily please gamers. If it does both great, but they have the geeks in the back room with the calculators figuring out what is the odds on favorite to maximize their profit. That was not the case in the first Xbox, when MS just wanted to get in the living room and make a name for themselves no matter the cost (or loss).

~mrmiller

Clan Founder

S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:54 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down