Commercials while you're gaming?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by OneBadHuskerFan on Wed May 30, 2012 2:11 pm

I don't see this working out too well. The last thing I want while I'm gaming is to have a d@mn commercial interrupt me.

http://www.gizmag.com/sony-in-game-advertising/22743/

OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 3258
Join date : 2011-11-10
Age : 41
Location : Austin, TX
GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by Xpert2010 on Wed May 30, 2012 2:24 pm

My brother told me about this. If I paid for a game and had to be interrupted by commercials, I'd be pretty upset. But I'd understand if free-to-play games did this.

Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 1790
Join date : 2012-04-24
Age : 26
GamerTag : Xpert2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by Atrum on Wed May 30, 2012 2:57 pm

You know, if I was sitting in a lobby, and they had a little HUD in the bottom corner that played an ad, I would have no problem with that. If it blocked my screen and stopped me from editing characters, looking at stats, etc. Then it would be annoying.

_________________

Clan History: R6 Vegas XO, Chromehounds XO, GoW 1 GC, Homefront XO, GoW 3 GC, Halo 4 GC, COD Ghosts Warrant Officer
***Pwning OC since 2/5/2006

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Posts : 7825
Join date : 2010-02-28
Age : 27
Location : Spokane, WA
GamerTag : AtrumX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by S7 Coolhand on Wed May 30, 2012 3:10 pm

Agree w Atrum. I would expect some free DLC in return though.

_________________

S7 Coolhand

Posts : 5771
Join date : 2010-02-25
Age : 36
Location : Oklahoma City
GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown on Wed May 30, 2012 3:32 pm

if it's free you have nothing to say--sort of like why there are commercials on NBC. But if I pay for it there better not be a commercial.

_________________


S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

Posts : 5616
Join date : 2008-03-18
Age : 45
Location : Upper Marlboro, Maryland
GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by OneBadHuskerFan on Wed May 30, 2012 3:36 pm

I agree with the "if it's free then it's not an issue" group.

Just like the Pandora site that I listen to music from. The free version has ads and if I want it to not have ads then I pay. No problem with that.

OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 3258
Join date : 2011-11-10
Age : 41
Location : Austin, TX
GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by S7 Interseptor on Wed May 30, 2012 3:37 pm

S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:if it's free you have nothing to say--sort of like why there are commercials on NBC. But if I pay for it there better not be a commercial.

Amen.

This is also exactly why I don't have Hulu Plus. I have to pay for the service and still watch commercials?

_________________
"Console A sucks! Console B is way better and never has problems!
I don't know how to build a cheap PC that out performs both! Rabble rabble!!"


Current PS4 Games: Dirt, Paragon, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3
Current Clan Rank: Clan Adviser
Clan Founder (aka DarkHorse)

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Posts : 8541
Join date : 2008-03-21
Age : 37
Location : Kosciusko, MS
GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by OneBadHuskerFan on Wed May 30, 2012 3:43 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:
S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:if it's free you have nothing to say--sort of like why there are commercials on NBC. But if I pay for it there better not be a commercial.

Amen.

This is also exactly why I don't have Hulu Plus. I have to pay for the service and still watch commercials?

Well that's good to know. I've thought about getting Hulu Plus but I assumed that the "Plus" meant no ads. Screw that.

OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 3258
Join date : 2011-11-10
Age : 41
Location : Austin, TX
GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by Atrum on Wed May 30, 2012 3:53 pm

OneBadHuskerFan wrote:
S7 Interseptor wrote:
S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:if it's free you have nothing to say--sort of like why there are commercials on NBC. But if I pay for it there better not be a commercial.

Amen.

This is also exactly why I don't have Hulu Plus. I have to pay for the service and still watch commercials?

Well that's good to know. I've thought about getting Hulu Plus but I assumed that the "Plus" meant no ads. Screw that.

And it's no small amount of commercials either.
However between HBO Go, Hulu Plus, and Netflix I don't even need to have regular TV... so I don't.

_________________

Clan History: R6 Vegas XO, Chromehounds XO, GoW 1 GC, Homefront XO, GoW 3 GC, Halo 4 GC, COD Ghosts Warrant Officer
***Pwning OC since 2/5/2006

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Posts : 7825
Join date : 2010-02-28
Age : 27
Location : Spokane, WA
GamerTag : AtrumX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by OneBadHuskerFan on Wed May 30, 2012 4:18 pm

AtrumX wrote:
OneBadHuskerFan wrote:
S7 Interseptor wrote:
S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:if it's free you have nothing to say--sort of like why there are commercials on NBC. But if I pay for it there better not be a commercial.

Amen.

This is also exactly why I don't have Hulu Plus. I have to pay for the service and still watch commercials?

Well that's good to know. I've thought about getting Hulu Plus but I assumed that the "Plus" meant no ads. Screw that.

And it's no small amount of commercials either.
However between HBO Go, Hulu Plus, and Netflix I don't even need to have regular TV... so I don't.

Don't you have to already be getting HBO to get HBO Go? Or can you get it "stand alone"?

OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 3258
Join date : 2011-11-10
Age : 41
Location : Austin, TX
GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by S7 Interseptor on Wed May 30, 2012 4:31 pm

OneBadHuskerFan wrote:
AtrumX wrote:
OneBadHuskerFan wrote:
S7 Interseptor wrote:
S7 K1ll3rKlown wrote:if it's free you have nothing to say--sort of like why there are commercials on NBC. But if I pay for it there better not be a commercial.

Amen.

This is also exactly why I don't have Hulu Plus. I have to pay for the service and still watch commercials?

Well that's good to know. I've thought about getting Hulu Plus but I assumed that the "Plus" meant no ads. Screw that.

And it's no small amount of commercials either.
However between HBO Go, Hulu Plus, and Netflix I don't even need to have regular TV... so I don't.

Don't you have to already be getting HBO to get HBO Go? Or can you get it "stand alone"?

Good questions. I would consider getting HBO Go if it was available separately.

_________________
"Console A sucks! Console B is way better and never has problems!
I don't know how to build a cheap PC that out performs both! Rabble rabble!!"


Current PS4 Games: Dirt, Paragon, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3
Current Clan Rank: Clan Adviser
Clan Founder (aka DarkHorse)

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Posts : 8541
Join date : 2008-03-21
Age : 37
Location : Kosciusko, MS
GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by Atrum on Wed May 30, 2012 4:35 pm

I just happen to know someone that has dish with HBO. So, free! Yay!

_________________

Clan History: R6 Vegas XO, Chromehounds XO, GoW 1 GC, Homefront XO, GoW 3 GC, Halo 4 GC, COD Ghosts Warrant Officer
***Pwning OC since 2/5/2006

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Posts : 7825
Join date : 2010-02-28
Age : 27
Location : Spokane, WA
GamerTag : AtrumX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by OneBadHuskerFan on Wed May 30, 2012 4:38 pm

AtrumX wrote:I just happen to know someone that has dish with HBO. So, free! Yay!

Ah, well if I had that deal I'd be all over it, lol.

OneBadHuskerFan
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 3258
Join date : 2011-11-10
Age : 41
Location : Austin, TX
GamerTag : OneBadHuskerFan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by S7 Coolhand on Wed May 30, 2012 5:00 pm

I'm getting ready to drop Hulu for a second time since I'm all caught up on those shows. Their ads are very annoying, but the content is generally fresher than netflix. many episodes are on there the day after they air where netflix, with a couple exceptions, often doesn't have new episodes until a season is complete and the next season has started.

_________________

S7 Coolhand

Posts : 5771
Join date : 2010-02-25
Age : 36
Location : Oklahoma City
GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by S7 Epic on Wed May 30, 2012 5:09 pm

I think it's hilarious that it is Sony considering this. The Playstation division is already in pretty bad shape, so to risk pissing off their customers seems kinda stupid.

S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 3130
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 28
Location : Leeds, UK
GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by Xpert2010 on Wed May 30, 2012 5:19 pm

S7 Epic wrote:I think it's hilarious that it is Sony considering this. The Playstation division is already in pretty bad shape, so to risk pissing off their customers seems kinda stupid.

I would have bought thier PSP Vita if it was able to play PSOne Classics... but it can't... so I'm not gonna buy it. I would have bought a PS3 awhile back... but it was $600... so I didn't buy it. If Sony goes through with this advertising deal... I'm not gonna buy any of their sh1t EVAAAAHHHH!!! ALIENATION!!!!!.

Xpert2010
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 1790
Join date : 2012-04-24
Age : 26
GamerTag : Xpert2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Wed May 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Also, doesn't the Vita require you to use the AT&T mobile service? I have Verizon so why would I want to get something that I'd have to have another mobile account for?

_________________
~~Wife: Yup, I'd shoot you in the leg, cuz then we'd have a crawler.~~
~~Star Wars is like Dirty Dancing for dudes. Nobody puts Chewbacca in a corner, okay?~~
 photo skyrimsig.png
XBL GT: S7 SockPuppet / PSN ID: DeadSockPuppet
Current  Command: 1st Time Daddy
Clan Command History: Gears of War 3 XO, MW3 Warrant Officer W2
Current PS4 Games: Destiny, Fallout 4, R6 Siege, Uncharted Drake Collection, The Division
Current Xbox 360 Games: None

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
Posts : 6735
Join date : 2010-03-01
Age : 36
Location : Hudsonville, MI
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by S7 Coolhand on Wed May 30, 2012 6:23 pm

Sony has been late to the game on many things including all these revenue sources. They are paying the price.

_________________

S7 Coolhand

Posts : 5771
Join date : 2010-02-25
Age : 36
Location : Oklahoma City
GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Commercials while you're gaming?

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:02 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum