AT&T vs Comcast

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AT&T vs Comcast

Post by S7 Zalacious on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Ok so I have been having some internet issues, mainly noticeable when playing anything on my xbox. Video streaming is also slower than it should be. I only have a 3 Mb connection but I never had any issues in the past with the same speed. I had comcast years ago but I was curious if anyone has any opinion on Comcast as an ISP. I might switch, but I can also upgrade my current connection to a 6 MB connection for only 5 bucks more.

S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Zalacious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AT&T vs Comcast

Post by S7 Sticky on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:40 pm

i used to have comcast i would say just upgrade to the 6mb i mean its only 5 bucks more see how you like it ....

i hate AT&T as i was a call center rep for them for 3 years and every day people calling in because there net was down and so on so there is alot of problems with it (at least in the southwest region)

Clan Founder

S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:51 pm

Check the Upload speeds. That's more important than the DL when playing online... at least once you are over about 5 MB. A 5MB Up/2MB Down is better than a 10MB Up/500K Down. That's normally the big reason Cable trumps DSL for online play, as DSL always has crap UL speeds. The more UL the better!

~mrmiller

We are a brotherhood bound by honor, our strength is in our numbers, we are S7!
*General Disclaimer- I can't type or spell
Clan Founder

S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Zalacious on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:25 pm

Yeah my upload is pretty crappy atm. I am going to upgrade and stick with AT&T for now. I had some issues trying to upgrade though as their system says in one spot that I can get fiber, but in another spot in the system it says my location is not eligible. Kind of annoying when the service tech that was just here said they do run fiber at my place.

New plan will give me 12 down 2 up, so it should be a lot better all around.

S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:09 pm

i wish they ran fiber down here that would be nice

Clan Founder

S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:59 am

Like Miller said, Cable > DSL. If you are using a wireless router, is it secured? Maybe someone (like me) is leeching your bandwidth away. I broke down and am now paying 45 a month so Amanda can get her WoW on without messing up my online play. Started having slowdown issues after she moved in.

S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Zalacious on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:14 pm

S7 Coolhand wrote:Like Miller said, Cable > DSL. If you are using a wireless router, is it secured? Maybe someone (like me) is leeching your bandwidth away. I broke down and am now paying 45 a month so Amanda can get her WoW on without messing up my online play. Started having slowdown issues after she moved in.

Yes my network is secure and I might just switch to cable if AT&T does not get back to me by today in regards to upgrading my service,

S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Smack on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:02 pm

Yea unless they have Fiber optics I'd switch I know to many people having problems on any DSL Verizon or AT&T. I think cable or fiber optics is the way to go IMO they're upload speed is ususally very good.

S7 Smack

GamerTag : S7 Smack

View user profile http://www.s7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Zalacious on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:00 pm

S7 Smack wrote:Yea unless they have Fiber optics I'd switch I know to many people having problems on any DSL Verizon or AT&T. I think cable or fiber optics is the way to go IMO they're upload speed is ususally very good.

My upgrade with AT&T would be to fiber, but I can not believe that I have to wait 1-3 days to make sure I am at an eligible location. Just seems silly. Even the support guy I talked to thought it was stupid. Part of the error might reside in the fact that my residence is an apartment but my actual address does not read like one. Has led to problems earlier when I was first trying to get broadband when I moved in. Depending on which portal I would use, AT&T would sometimes say I am at an eligible address and sometimes not.

S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Zalacious on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:44 pm

Ok just got done talking to an online agent from Comcast and I am very pleased. I am getting a 15 Mb/s down, 3 Mb/s up connection for only 33 dollars a month (non-contract). Was supposed to be 57 but a simple mention of AT&Ts price made him drop it Smile

He also tried to pull some 100 dollar deposit BS on me, I questioned him on that as well and he waived it. It is amzaing what sales people are allowed to do for you if you just ask or question a price or charge.

I hope it is comcastic.......

S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:04 pm

15/3 for 33 sounds reasonable and should work well for you.

S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Bullet on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:00 pm

Comcast is pretty good Internet wise. Hate boost so I don't know what I have just that I am paying 20 or so dollars for Internet on my bill

S7 Bullet
Sergeant
Sergeant

GamerTag : S7 Bullet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:37 pm

S7 Zalacious wrote:Ok just got done talking to an online agent from Comcast and I am very pleased. I am getting a 15 Mb/s down, 3 Mb/s up connection for only 33 dollars a month (non-contract). Was supposed to be 57 but a simple mention of AT&Ts price made him drop it Smile

He also tried to pull some 100 dollar deposit BS on me, I questioned him on that as well and he waived it. It is amzaing what sales people are allowed to do for you if you just ask or question a price or charge.

I hope it is comcastic.......

as a call center rep for AT&T (my last job) i have found if you b1tch at the call rep about 95% of them will give you what you want so they get you off the phone line (AT&T reps have a $500 max credit they can give you and the super can go up to $1000)

but then again you could get that 5% of call reps(like myself) if you were nice to me i would work with you but if you started to b1tch about anything i would say sorry there is nothing i can do.

now not saying this works in ever call center but for your with LIP and with xbox customer support .
b1tch alot and you can have an xbox sent to you first then when u get that box you send them your rrod xbox .

Clan Founder

S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Zalacious on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:19 pm

Well finally got Comcast and for less money I am getting this......

compared to 2-3 down, .5 up for more money Smile

S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:39 pm

That is a sweet internet connection. Host FTW!

~mrmiller

We are a brotherhood bound by honor, our strength is in our numbers, we are S7!
*General Disclaimer- I can't type or spell
Clan Founder

S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:31 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down