Propane Grills

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Propane Grills

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:36 pm

In the past I've always been a charcoal guy. I have a mid-sized Weber charcoal grill that I love but my wife and I were looking into getting a propane grill so that when we're short on time we can still grill. Because my dad is a charcoal guy and I've never really looked at propane grills, I was wondering if anyone has an suggestions on a grill. Here's what I'm looking for:

- a grill that I can cook burgers, hot dogs, brats easily on, probably enough food to feed about 3-4 people.
- I wouldn't mind being able to grill some smaller steaks, chops or chicken breasts.
- a grill that's fairly durable
- doesn't have to come with a propane tank
- a grill that's fairly easy to use and clean
- I'm not too brand loyal, so I'd be open to most suggestions
- a grill that's probably not more than about $300-$400 USD

Any suggestions would be great. I've started going thru articles on about.com which seems to have some fairly good suggestions but I'd like some input from real people that have tried some of these products out.

XBL GT: S7 SockPuppet / PSN ID: DeadSockPuppet
Current  Command: 1st Time Daddy
Clan Command History: Gears of War 3 XO, MW3 Warrant Officer W2
Current PS4 Games: Destiny, Fallout 4, R6 Siege, Uncharted Drake Collection, The Division
Current Xbox 360 Games: None

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Propane Grills

Post by S7 mrmiller on Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Most of the cheap ones work well enough if you are OK with having to "recycle" them in about 5 years. Just be sure you get one with multiple burners that can be individually adjusted. I also like the ones with a temperature gauge in the lid. If you are looking to spend some $$$ go all stainless, and it will last you a long time.

~mrmiller

We are a brotherhood bound by honor, our strength is in our numbers, we are S7!
*General Disclaimer- I can't type or spell
Clan Founder

S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY on Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Dude, get one of the combo gas grill on one side and charcoal and smoker box on the other. Gas grills are good for quick and easy, but food is waaaaaaay better on a charcoal

S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Sticky on Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:15 pm

S7 DROOPY wrote:Dude, get one of the combo gas grill on one side and charcoal and smoker box on the other. Gas grills are good for quick and easy, but food is waaaaaaay better on a charcoal

agreed with droppy
that is what my parents have and it works great

Clan Founder

S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 Sticky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:29 pm

I have a propane grill and had for a long time. Charcoal is nice if you are always going to have the time to put into it to do it properly. Even with a propane grill you can get a small smoker box and set it up inside the grill to get the flavor from charcoal or other woods. As far as a propane grill I have a Weber Silver series B grill. I have had this one for about 7-8 years still looks great and works like new. I have replaced some of the inside parts a couple times but that's not hard or expensive. Check it out great grill

Clan Founder

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:11 am

@Droopy - I agree that charcoal is way better and I don't plan on getting rid of the Weber that I have. I'm gonna use that thing until it disintegrates into a pile of rust, and then I'm going to buy another one (probably the larger size).

@OC - I'll have to look into that Weber. I'd like to stick with a brand that I know to be quality, but like I said I don't want to spend tons of money on a grill that will be a bench player.

Thanks to everyone for the input so far.

Current PS4 Games: Destiny, Fallout 4, R6 Siege, Uncharted Drake Collection, The Division

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:35 am

So I was reading a review on the Weber Genesis Silver B grill that OC listed and was really impressed with what About.com had to say. Everything was going good until I get to the end of the review and see:

This unit has been replaced by the Weber Spirit E-310.

So I click the link for the Weber Spirit E-310 and start reading that review. It's pretty much the same grill with a slightly different design but it has the same basic components and features and same amount of grill space. Again, I get to the bottom of the review and see the following:

This model has been discontinued. It is replaced by the Weber Spirit E-310 Black.

So I move on to the Black version which is again pretty much the same grill, slightly different design, but the the barrel of the grill is black. Meh. I'm still impressed by the grill and will probably try to find a retailer near me to look at it. Seems to have just what I'm looking for, although the price might be a little more than I want to pay. We'll see though.

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:43 am

Try and get a gas grill that has cast iron / ceramic removable grill plates, makes cleaning way easyer, also buy one of the propane tank fuel gauges and you might want to buy replacement burners now, so you have them when they go out and they aren't discontinued, but if you clean them regularly u will be fine

S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:07 am

The Weber that I have came with ceramic coated cast iron grates and a fuel tank gauge but I have more than one tank full at a time because the worst thing is when you are part way cooking a nice steak and the gas runs out. Weber still makes some Genesis series grills but they are more expensive than the spirit series. Bu from my experience You will get more than your moneys worth out of a Weber grill if you protect it and clean it right.

Clan Founder

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:49 pm

I've heard the having two tanks plan and I'll have to keep the ceramic cast iron parts and extra burners in mind. From what I've heard so far, Weber is pretty good about support and replacement parts though.

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:21 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down