Need network help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need network help!

Post by S7 Zalacious on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:33 pm

So after realizing that I do not need a wireless router at this point I decided to ditch my wireless router for regular old ethernet box and go with a straight wired setup. Now for some reason I am having trouble getting my xobx and pc connected at the same time. I think unplugging everything caused some issues with my ip getting reset but I am not sure as I do not know much about these things. I have tried unplugging the modem and switch box and then powering up my pc and xobx but no matter what I seem to run into problems with one or the other being unable to connect to the net. I am somewhat at a loss as to what the problem is and I am about to start digging through the net to find a solution but I figured I would ask here as many of you are knowledgeable in such things.

So after a little bit of digging I think that I should not have bought a switch box but instead a wired router? I think this may explain why I can only connect the pc or xbox at one time and not both at the same time as each device required a separate ip correct?

S7 Zalacious
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : Zalacious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Need network help!

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:53 pm

I used to have a crap router that I'd have to reset all the time and to keep everything working I'd have to power the router and cable modem off, wire everything together, power on my pc and Xbox, then power on the modem and router. I think it had to do with either the router and/or the modem not being plug-and-play so I had to set everything up as listed above or either the modem or router wouldn't read everything right.

XBL GT: S7 SockPuppet / PSN ID: DeadSockPuppet
Current  Command: 1st Time Daddy
Clan Command History: Gears of War 3 XO, MW3 Warrant Officer W2
Current PS4 Games: Destiny, Fallout 4, R6 Siege, Uncharted Drake Collection, The Division
Current Xbox 360 Games: None

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:27 am

First off yes you need a router. Once you have your settings I. The router most any device will auto assign an ip address to itself. You only need to assign static ips, open ports, etc if you're having connectivity issues.

Clan History: R6 Vegas XO, Chromehounds XO, GoW 1 GC, Homefront XO, GoW 3 GC, Halo 4 GC, COD Ghosts Warrant Officer
***Pwning OC since 2/5/2006

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:50 am

My bad, misread that you were using a switch box vs a wired router.

Current PS4 Games: Destiny, Fallout 4, R6 Siege, Uncharted Drake Collection, The Division

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:16 pm

Short answer, yes, you need a router.

When using a switch you must have a PC act as a gateway, and it will need two network cards (one in and one out). Bandwidth ends up getting evenly divided amongst the devices unlike with a router where the device demanding a lot gets a lot. It will be an easy enough fix and routers cost just a little more than switches anymore.

S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:26 pm

I have Comcast for cable/phone/internet and they gave me a free wireless router that I haven't had any problems with. Before their router I was using a Belkin one that was a flaming pile of sh1t with tech support in India that was useless. Anywho, try calling your internet provider and see if they'll set you up with one for free.

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:43 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down