smallest Alienware

View previous topic View next topic Go down

smallest Alienware

Post by S7 Sticky on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:34 am

looks cool but for the price no thanks ill build my own
http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/121/1216714p1.html

_________________

Clan Founder

S7 Sticky
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Posts : 10432
Join date : 2008-11-10
Age : 28
Location : El Paso Tx
GamerTag : S7 Sticky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: smallest Alienware

Post by S7 Interseptor on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:58 am

It starts off at $699. That really isn't that bad. Especially for Alienware. You're not going to build one with those specs for a lot cheaper that $699.

_________________
"Console A sucks! Console B is way better and never has problems!
I don't know how to build a cheap PC that out performs both! Rabble rabble!!"


Current PS4 Games: Dirt, Paragon, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3
Current Clan Rank: Clan Adviser
Clan Founder (aka DarkHorse)

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Posts : 8540
Join date : 2008-03-21
Age : 37
Location : Kosciusko, MS
GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: smallest Alienware

Post by S7 Epic on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:07 pm

S7 Interseptor wrote:It starts off at $699. That really isn't that bad. Especially for Alienware. You're not going to build one with those specs for a lot cheaper that $699.

Yes you are. At a glance, I'd say I could at least match the specs for $500. It's probably better value than their top-end stuff but still....

S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 3130
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 28
Location : Leeds, UK
GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: smallest Alienware

Post by S7 Interseptor on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:36 pm

S7 Epic wrote:
S7 Interseptor wrote:It starts off at $699. That really isn't that bad. Especially for Alienware. You're not going to build one with those specs for a lot cheaper that $699.

Yes you are. At a glance, I'd say I could at least match the specs for $500. It's probably better value than their top-end stuff but still....

I'd be surprised. You might get the parts for about that but a fully built PC with the exact same hardware configuration, custom LED tower and OS for $500? (not to mention other software included?) My guess is you would end up at about $600 realistically. And for me $99 isn't that big of a difference. Especially when the Alienware one come to my house ready to play. No building necessary and it will probably work without any fuss. That is worth more that $99 to me.

_________________
"Console A sucks! Console B is way better and never has problems!
I don't know how to build a cheap PC that out performs both! Rabble rabble!!"


Current PS4 Games: Dirt, Paragon, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3
Current Clan Rank: Clan Adviser
Clan Founder (aka DarkHorse)

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Posts : 8540
Join date : 2008-03-21
Age : 37
Location : Kosciusko, MS
GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: smallest Alienware

Post by S7 Epic on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:38 pm

Nah, it'd be somewhat tight but doable nonetheless. Sure the case might not have that tower but some might call that a benefit.

OS are cheap enough and in regards to build time, the parts would be there a lot faster than an entire Alienware PC would be. As myself and others have said before, PC's are surprisingly easy to build and personally, I find it very enjoyable.

Furthermore, the individual warranties for the parts are excellent and are generally 2-3+ years, dependant on the component. Not to mention free.

Admittedly, there's a lot more planning involved in terms of sourcing the components for the best price but at the end of the day, at least you know you're getting the absolute maximum bang for your buck - with brand name parts that are excellent in their own right. Not a generic assembly of budget parts, carried along by an Intel chip.

For anybody that is tech-literate, I'd always advise against pre-builts. Unless you really want to shell out, they'll never be that 'future proof'. Even then, I tend to find that the higher your price range, the bigger the performance/value differential between that and a self-build.

S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 3130
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 28
Location : Leeds, UK
GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: smallest Alienware

Post by S7 Interseptor on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:45 pm

S7 Epic wrote: For anybody that is tech-literate, I'd always advise against pre-builts. Unless you really want to shell out, they'll never be that 'future proof'. Even then, I tend to find that the higher your price range, the bigger the performance/value differential between that and a self-build.

I'd agree with that. That is partially why I was saying that the saving on this rig would not be that big. When the limit is $699 it is hard to cut a lot of cost. But on the flip side you could save a lot over a $2000 performance PC.

_________________
"Console A sucks! Console B is way better and never has problems!
I don't know how to build a cheap PC that out performs both! Rabble rabble!!"


Current PS4 Games: Dirt, Paragon, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3
Current Clan Rank: Clan Adviser
Clan Founder (aka DarkHorse)

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

Posts : 8540
Join date : 2008-03-21
Age : 37
Location : Kosciusko, MS
GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: smallest Alienware

Post by S7 Epic on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:28 pm

Even at the lower end, you'd be surprised what you can manage with a bit of effort but yeah, as the price goes up my advice goes from 'you'd be better building your own' to 'you must have more money than sense, you stupid fucktard'.

S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 3130
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 28
Location : Leeds, UK
GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: smallest Alienware

Post by S7 Coolhand on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:56 pm

Nice compact design - looks to me like a good rig for anyone not wanting to spend the time and effort or have the know how to build their own. To some it is worth the extra cash for less hassle. Yeah maybe I could have cooked that dinner myself but I went to the restaurant or ordered delivery because I didn't want to deal with the hassle... so what I paid a few extra bucks.

_________________

S7 Coolhand

Posts : 5771
Join date : 2010-02-25
Age : 36
Location : Oklahoma City
GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: smallest Alienware

Post by S7 Panzer on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:54 pm

I do like the new angle Alienware is playing, and maybe this is the step in the right direction to un-taint the Alienware name. After experiencing an Alienware laptop first hand I would recommend if you have the knowledge to build your own rig, do so. As for this new item I would wait for customer reviews and possible first addition errors/tweaks.

_________________
Please Excuse My Panzish

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." James Dean

S7 Panzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 1800
Join date : 2010-02-25
Age : 24
Location : Kansas City, MO
GamerTag : XBOX: S7 Panzer STEAM: TinCrow

View user profile http://www.S7clan.com

Back to top Go down

Re: smallest Alienware

Post by S7 Epic on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:08 am

S7 Panzer wrote:I do like the new angle Alienware is playing, and maybe this is the step in the right direction to un-taint the Alienware name. After experiencing an Alienware laptop first hand I would recommend if you have the knowledge to build your own rig, do so. As for this new item I would wait for customer reviews and possible first addition errors/tweaks.

Surprisingly sage advice from Panzer there.

Same goes for new cars, perhaps more so than anything else. Never buy the first of a new model, give it a year. Even with model revisions, you'd be best waiting another month or two.

S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Posts : 3130
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 28
Location : Leeds, UK
GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: smallest Alienware

Post by Atrum on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:11 am

S7 Epic wrote:
S7 Panzer wrote:I do like the new angle Alienware is playing, and maybe this is the step in the right direction to un-taint the Alienware name. After experiencing an Alienware laptop first hand I would recommend if you have the knowledge to build your own rig, do so. As for this new item I would wait for customer reviews and possible first addition errors/tweaks.

Surprisingly sage advice from Panzer there.

Same goes for new cars, perhaps more so than anything else. Never buy the first of a new model, give it a year. Even with model revisions, you'd be best waiting another month or two.

QFT

_________________

Clan History: R6 Vegas XO, Chromehounds XO, GoW 1 GC, Homefront XO, GoW 3 GC, Halo 4 GC, COD Ghosts Warrant Officer
***Pwning OC since 2/5/2006

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

Posts : 7824
Join date : 2010-02-28
Age : 27
Location : Spokane, WA
GamerTag : AtrumX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: smallest Alienware

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:21 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum