Gears - Puppet's First Playthru

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gears - Puppet's First Playthru

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:48 pm

I'll probably be running a Gears-a-thon tonight and possibly into the early morning (EST) to try and really get into the game. If anyone is interested in possibly some co-op, shoot me a message on XBL if you see me. I'll say now that I'm not far into the game (I just met up with the solo member of the Alpha Team) and would prefer someone that's willing to take some time so that I can enjoy the game, since it's my first time thru (no spoilers please). Wish me luck!

Last edited by S7 SockPuppet on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:56 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Changed title of topic to reflect change in discussion.)

XBL GT: S7 SockPuppet / PSN ID: DeadSockPuppet
Current  Command: 1st Time Daddy
Clan Command History: Gears of War 3 XO, MW3 Warrant Officer W2
Current PS4 Games: Destiny, Fallout 4, R6 Siege, Uncharted Drake Collection, The Division
Current Xbox 360 Games: None

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Game Command : GOW3 XO, MW3 W2
GamerTag : S7 SockPuppet / DeadSockPuppet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gears - Puppet's First Playthru

Post by Atrum on Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:55 pm

My Gears disc is borrowed out now otherwise I'd join you. I'll see if I can get it back tonight.

Also, your post sounds like a craigslist ad haha.

Clan History: R6 Vegas XO, Chromehounds XO, GoW 1 GC, Homefront XO, GoW 3 GC, Halo 4 GC, COD Ghosts Warrant Officer
***Pwning OC since 2/5/2006

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : AtrumX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:41 pm

AtrumX wrote:My Gears disc is borrowed out now otherwise I'd join you. I'll see if I can get it back tonight.

Also, your post sounds like a craigslist ad haha.

Gears Tonight: Looking for fellow gamer with game, controller, and two working thumbs. Only those meeting those requirements need apply.

I think that's a little more Craig's Listish... j/k.

Current PS4 Games: Destiny, Fallout 4, R6 Siege, Uncharted Drake Collection, The Division

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Let me know when you get to Gears 2, as I have never finished it and will co-op with ya if I can.

~mrmiller

We are a brotherhood bound by honor, our strength is in our numbers, we are S7!
*General Disclaimer- I can't type or spell
Clan Founder

S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:34 am

I got thru the first encounter (taking the courtyard LZ) in Act 4 so I should probably be able to beat Acts 4+5 today during the day. I hope to possibly get into Gears 2 a little today and then really crank it up on Thursday night after work. As I said before, anyone that's willing to play some beginner Gears (I'm playing on Casual) hit me up if you see me.

My second impression of the game is the same as the first... this is a fun game. I'm glad that I played Act 3 during the middle of the night with all the lights out cuz it really added to the ambiance. Also, since I usually only use my headset at night, being able to hear every last "spooky" sound was great (especially the rasping of the Theron Guards).

I hope that the game doesn't fail but rather that it continues to impress. I'm looking forward to a solid ending that will really drive me to playing the second installment. At some point I wouldn't mind trying to find a group of people to play some MP. Sticky you could probably get in on that since you think the MP for Gears 2 sucks and I can't count on you for Gears 2 MP.

All in all, I'm glad that you guys kept yammering back and forth about Gears 3 and got me interested enough in the series to give it a try. As with Forza 3, I wish I had drank the Kool-Aid sooner and had been playing this longer... especially since Gears 1 has been out for almost 5 years.

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Interseptor on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:24 am

You will not be disappointed. Gear 1 is great and Gears 2 is better in every way. In fact it is what partially inspired me to start that discussion on sequels the other day.

Current PS4 Games: Dirt, Paragon, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3
Current Clan Rank: Clan Adviser
Clan Founder (aka DarkHorse)

S7 Interseptor
Clan Advisor
Clan Advisor

GamerTag : PSN: Interseptor_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:22 am

If you see my gamertag online today send me a msg and invite. It'll actually be kaiti that's on but she's just to the start of act 4 also so you might be able to have a coop partner.

Clan History: R6 Vegas XO, Chromehounds XO, GoW 1 GC, Homefront XO, GoW 3 GC, Halo 4 GC, COD Ghosts Warrant Officer

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:22 am

Act 4 is in the books and it's time to take a housecleaning/lunch break. I was impressed with Act 4 too. I think the designers did a great job of cutting the acts to the length they did. Just as I'm about to start losing interest, the game hits and act break and I have some new larger project to do. Great job.

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:37 am

You'll love it beginning to end. I did and still do.
If I have time and you're doing any tonight let me know. I warn you however, the Yankees are in Boston all this week...so no promises...LOL

S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:44 pm

AtrumX wrote:If you see my gamertag online today send me a msg and invite. It'll actually be kaiti that's on but she's just to the start of act 4 also so you might be able to have a coop partner.

Sorry I missed this post because I could have used some help. I've gotten to the end of the train car (Train Wreak) where I have to beat the general and get the info from the bomb. There have been other spots where I could have used a second player to get thru the level smoother but I'm finding that it might be darn near impossible for me to beat this by myself. The AI on Dom keeps sending him up the middle to his death and then I either have to fight by myself or risk getting slaughtered trying to save Dom. I know at some point I have to be able to get to the turret but I think I've got to wear the boss down a bit. Anyway, this would be a fantastic spot to have someone else running and gunning to try and draw fire. Also, it would be nice to have your partner be able to revive you instead of just ending your run.

Last edited by S7 SockPuppet on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Posted a partial thought/sentence that needed to be completed.)

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum on Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:32 pm

I hate how stupid the AI could be in Gears 1. It's better in 2. What time will you be on tonight?

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Holy crap I hate trying to beat Raam without a partner. I've tried the longshot/torque bow combo, I've tried tearing thru the train to the turret and hitting him, I've tried nades and the longshot and I can't get more than like 3 or 4 clean headshots before I'm killed.

I'm not a very patient person when it comes to games and I have a tendency to get p.o.'d and then drop a game for a long while. The thing that really irks me is that I know this is the end of the game and it's really rubbing me the wrong way. Oh well, I'll just keep throwing myself against the wall and maybe by accident I'll beat the game. Wish me luck!

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrum on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:22 pm

Stomped Raam last night!
Not sure how far we got in to Gears to but it was a few chapters in. It's crazy how much better Gears 2 looks than Gears 1. Get's me pumped for 3.

Atrum
Colonel
Colonel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:44 pm

Yeah, thanks for the help. I knew if there was someone playing with me instead of that crap AI I'd be able to get thru it pretty quick.

I agree that Gears 2 is much more pretty than Gears 1. I look forward to trying to play most of Gears 2 in co-op so that I don't have to deal with the AI, although it seems better in Gears 2. Also, it's fun to banter back and forth with another player to go with the characters bantering back and forth.

If Gears 3 turns out like these two, it should be a great addition to the franchise.

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:00 am

Magus, thanks for making pink mist with me in Gears 2. I really appreciate all the help that everyone is offering in my playthru of the game.

So far I really like the changes made to Gears 2 (graphics, blood, AI) and I'm really enjoying the game.

I look forward to my next co-op lead slinging session. I'm off today and tomorrow and I think the wife works both days so I might be on playing during the day for those of you that would like to play but aren't available during the night.

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Sooo... found another spot that's driving me up the wall. I'm in the final act of Gears 2 and I'm trying to defend the comm sat station and the best I can do is down like 5 of the reavers before the last sat gets destroyed and I fail the mission. I'll probably be looking for some one to help me with these last few chapters to finish off the game, or at least help with the current dilemma. This is again a great spot for a second player, since the AI has decided to go the way of Gears 1 and both "partners" are just picking their butts.

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:06 pm

I sat down and dug in and finally beat that d@mn comm sat stage and then powered thru the end of the game. I thought the "boss" was kind of easy to beat but the end of the game was great.

Hands down, my most favorite stage of the series has been the driving the Brumak. You can't beat riding around on a King Kong sized creature unleashing hot lead and missile salvos at everything in sight.

While I've beaten the game, I still look forward to playing thru it in co-op, because that just makes the game 10x better. All in all, I was very impressed with both games and I can't wait for Gears 3.

Now to take on the DLC...

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Epic on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:18 pm

I can't really remember the ending to Gears 2. Just watched it on Youtube and I had to check my XBL achievments to make sure I had actually beaten it, lol.

S7 Epic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Epic DDN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadSockPuppet on Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:52 pm

Well, like I said the final "boss" wasn't too difficult to beat, I think it took like 2 or 3 hits from the Hammer and then it was time to roll credits. I still really enjoyed the game though.

DeadSockPuppet
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:40 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down