"Macho Man" Randy Savage dead

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Macho Man" Randy Savage dead

Post by S7 Wiggles1778 on Sat May 21, 2011 1:43 am

Today was a sad day for anyone who grew up on wrestling... "Macho Man" Randy Savage was killed after suffering a heart attack (while driving), his Jeep crossed a median, and slammed into a tree.

Anyone who watched wrestling back in the day knew the "Macho Man". He was one of the greatest entertainers in the all of wrestling... I'm almost at a loss for words... It's never easy seeing a childhood hero die...

RIP - Randy Mario Poffo (November 15, 1952 – May 20, 2011)

Story from ESPN below...
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6570335

Randy "Macho Man" Savage, the professional wrestler known for his raspy voice, the sunglasses and bandanas he wore in the ring and the young woman named Miss Elizabeth who often accompanied him, died in a car crash Friday in Florida. He was 58.

A Florida Highway Patrol crash report said the former wrestler -- whose legal name was Randy Mario Poffo -- was driving a Jeep Wrangler when he lost control in Pinellas County around 9:25 a.m. The Jeep veered over the raised concrete median divider, crossed over the eastbound lanes and crashed head-on into a tree.

Police said he may have suffered a "medical event" before the accident, but the report did not elaborate, and it said officials would need to perform an autopsy to know for sure.

The report said a woman in the vehicle, identified as Barbara L. Poffo, 56, suffered minor injuries. A statement from Stamford, Conn.-based World Wrestling Entertainment said the passenger was the wrestler's current wife. Both were wearing their seatbelts, according to the police report.

"Poffo will be greatly missed by WWE and his fans," the statement said.

Savage was a charismatic wrestler made famous for his "Macho Man" nickname and his "Oooh Yeah!" catchphrase. He was a champion in Vince McMahon's World Wrestling Federation, and later Ted Turner's now-defunct World Championship Wrestling.

Poffo was under contract with WWE from 1985 to 1993 and held both the WWE and Intercontinental Championships.

"Our sincerest condolences go out to his family and friends. We wish a speedy recovery to his wife," WWE said.

Savage defined the larger-than-life personalities of the 1980s World Wrestling Federation (now WWE). He wore sequined robes bejeweled with "Macho Man" on the back, rainbow-colored cowboy hats and oversized sunglasses, part of a unique look that helped build the WWF into a mainstream phenomenon.

For most of his career, his valet, Miss Elizabeth, was by his side. The woman, Elizabeth Hulette, was his real-life wife at the time. They later divorced, and Hulette died in 2003 at 42 in what was later ruled a prescription drug overdose.

Savage's death was not the first to catch the wrestling world by surprise.

Chris Benoit killed his wife and son and then committed suicide in their Georgia home in 2007; Benoit was 40.

Eddie Guerrero was 38 when he died of a heart attack in 2005 after a history of alcohol and drug problems.

Curt "Mr. Perfect" Hennig died of a cocaine overdose in 2003 at 44. That same year, Michael "Road Warrior Hawk" Hegstrand died from a heart attack at 46. He had battled alcohol and drugs, as well as steroids.

In 1999, wrestler Owen Hart, 33, was killed when he fell from an apparatus as he was being lowered into the ring from the ceiling of Kemper Arena in Kansas City, Mo.

The WWF made Savage their champion after a win over Ted DiBiase in the main event at WrestleMania in 1988.

Savage had not appeared for a major wrestling organization since 2004, when he performed for Total Nonstop Action.

He was at times both the most popular and most hated wrestler in entertainment. His flying elbow off the top rope was mimicked by basement and backyard wrestlers everywhere. Savage made good use of his deep, raspy voice as a corporate pitchman as well, for years ordering Slim Jim fans to "Snap into a Slim Jim!"

He's most known for his legendary rivalries with Hulk Hogan, Ricky Steamboat and Ric Flair. Wrestlers took to Twitter to let fans know Savage won't be forgotten.

"There's probably five or six of us, with Andre (the Giant) and Hogan and thankfully myself and Flair, that, when their names pop up, even if you're not a fan, you know who in the hell these people are," said former wrestler and WWE Hall of Famer Dusty Rhodes. "You say, 'I know this guy. I know Macho Man Randy Savage.' He was part of that breed. We lost a good one."

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson hailed Savage as one of his childhood inspirations and heroes, while Mick "Cactus Jack" Foley called Savage "one of my favorite performers."

Hogan said he and Savage had just started talking again after 10 years.

"He had so much life in his eyes & in his spirit, I just pray that he's happy and in a better place and we miss him," Hogan wrote.

While so many personalities who left the WWF for WCW like Hogan, Roddy Piper and Mean Gene Okerlund were welcomed back to the company and even inducted into the Hall of Fame, Savage never returned.

Rhodes said Savage had prudently saved his money and was content to remain out of the spotlight.

"He was a recluse, almost," Rhodes said by phone. "Whatever he was doing, he wanted that privacy. Yeah, he was out of the picture for 10 years, but he didn't want to be in the picture."

Savage was a minor league catcher in the 1970s for St. Louis and Cincinnati before turning in the uniform for tights. His father, Angelo Poffo, was a longtime wrestler, and his brother, "Leaping" Lanny Poffo, was also a 1980s WWF mainstay. Condolences from fans poured in to Lanny Poffo's Facebook page on Friday.

“ There's probably five or six of us ... when their names pop up, even if you're not a fan, you know who in the hell these people are. You say, 'I know this guy. I know Macho Man Randy Savage.' He was part of that breed. We lost a good one.
” -- WWE Hall of Famer Dusty Rhodes

Clan Member Since 11/11/04

S7 Wiggles1778
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : Wiggles1778

View user profile http://www.twitch.tv/Wiggles78

Back to top Go down

Re: "Macho Man" Randy Savage dead

Post by S7 Wiggles1778 on Sat May 21, 2011 2:26 am

A little tribute to how awesome/cool/crazy "Macho Man" Randy Savage was...

How be a "Macho Man" and carry on his spirit....

Step 1 - Make an Entrance

Example: Wrestlemania V

Step 2 - Be Awesome/Crazy

Example #1: Rambling

It doesn’t matter what you say so long as it makes sense to you and make liberal use of the word “yeah.” Should someone actually question what it is you’re trying to convey, drop a couple of popular culture references to cement your non-point.

Example #2: Be Loud

Completely disregard the concept of an indoor voice, because seriously, f*ck walls and those who dwell within them...

Step 3 - Crazy Friends

Step 4 - The Finisher

S7 Wiggles1778
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Middy on Sat May 21, 2011 3:40 am

snap into a slim jim! OOOOOOOOH YYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAH

S7 Middy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

GamerTag : S7 Middy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 DROOPY on Sat May 21, 2011 10:52 am

boo,rip mmrs, he was my fav wrestler win i was a kid

S7 DROOPY
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 DROOPY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 mrmiller on Sat May 21, 2011 1:05 pm

Oh YEa, Atomic Elbow for the Win! Sad to see a legend go from back when Wrestling was cool. RIP.

~mrmiller

We are a brotherhood bound by honor, our strength is in our numbers, we are S7!
*General Disclaimer- I can't type or spell
Clan Founder

S7 mrmiller
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : mrmiller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Chippy on Sat May 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Sad to see another Superstar die like he did...Big Fan of WWF/WWE I was reading something about him that said he just got married and also was getting his life back on Track....RIP MACHO MAN!!!!

S7 Chippy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

GamerTag : KChippy PSN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Coolhand on Sat May 21, 2011 9:29 pm

I grew up watching WWF, though I don't watch wrestling anymore. Thanks, Randy for entertaining us for so long - you will be missed.

S7 Coolhand

GamerTag : S7 Coolhand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Wiggles1778 on Sun May 22, 2011 2:45 am

S7 Chippy wrote:I was reading something about him that said he just got married and also was getting his life back on Track

yeah i was reading tweets and stuff other wrestling people had said... and it only made me feel worse for the situation...

Hulk Hogan and him had just started talking for the first time in 10 years and had been mending that old friendship

Everything that I read was about him finally making peace with everyone and everything from his past etc.. its a real shame when someone is trying to make things right and something like this happens...

S7 Wiggles1778
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 OC on Tue May 24, 2011 9:19 am

Shocking Fact
As wrestlinginc.com points out, none of the 44 starters from the Super Bowl played in 1991 have passed away and only two of 44 boxers who held a championship belt that year are gone.
At 58, Savage made it nearly a decade longer than some of his deceased colleagues.

Clan Founder
We are a brotherhood bound by honor, our strength is in our numbers, we are S7!

S7 OC
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

GamerTag : S7 OC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 Wiggles1778 on Wed May 25, 2011 1:52 am

well pro wrestling isn't a sport to be part of if you want to live past 65....

Famous Wrestlers That Have Died Since 1985 Before the Age of 65

Chris Von Erich - 21
Mike Von Erich - 23
Louie Spiccoli - 27
Art Barr - 28
Gino Hernandez - 29
Lance Cade - 29
Jay Youngblood - 30
Rick McGraw - 30
Joey Marella - 30
Ed Gatner - 31
Buzz Sawyer - 32
Crash Holly - 32
Kerry Von Erich - 33
D.J. Peterson - 33
Eddie Gilbert - 33
The Renegade - 33
Chris Candido - 33
Test - 33
Adrian Adonis - 34
Gary Albright - 34
Bobby Duncum Jr. - 34
Owen Hart - 34
Yokozuna - 34
Big Dick Dudley - 34
Brian Pillman - 35
Marianna Komlos - 35
Umaga - 36
Pitbull #2 - 36
The Wall/Malice - 36
Emory Hale - 36
Leroy Brown - 38
Mark Curtis - 38
Eddie Guerrero - 38
John Kronus - 38
Davey Boy Smith - 39
Johnny Grunge - 39
Chris Kanyon - 40
Vivian Vachon - 40
Jeep Swenson - 40
Brady Boone - 40
Terry Gordy - 40
Bertha Faye - 40
Billy Joe Travis - 40
Chris Benoit - 40
Larry Cameron - 41
Rick Rude - 41
Randy Anderson - 41
Bruiser Brody - 42
Miss Elizabeth - 42
Big Boss Man - 42
Earthquake - 42
Mike Awesome - 42
Biff Wellington - 42
Brian Adams (Crush) - 43
Ray Candy - 43
Nancy Benoit - 43
Dino Bravo - 44
Curt Hennig - 44
El Gigante/Giant Gonzalez - 44
Bam Bam Bigelow - 45
Jerry Blackwell - 45
Junkyard Dog - 45
Hercules - 45
Toni Adams - 45
Andre the Giant - 46
Big John Studd - 46
Chris Adams - 46
Mike Davis - 46
Hawk - 46
Mitsuharu Misawa - 46
Ludvig Borga - 47
Luna Vachon - 48
Steve Dunn - 48
Cousin Junior - 48
Dick Murdoch - 49
Jumbo Tsuruta - 49
Rocco Rock - 49
Sherri Martel - 49
Steve Williams - 49
Moondog Spot - 51
Bastion Booger/Norman the Lunatic - 53
Ken Timbs - 53
Uncle Elmer - 54
Pez Whatley - 54
The Angel of Death - 54
Eddie Graham - 55
Tarzan Tyler - 55
Haystacks Calhoun- 55
Giant Haystacks - 55
Buddy Rose - 56
Kurt Von Hess - 56
Moondog King - 56
Randy Savage - 58
Gene Anderson - 58
Dr. Jerry Graham - 58
Bulldog Brown - 58
Tony Parisi - 58
Rufus R. Jones - 60
Ray Stevens - 60
Stan Stasiak - 60
Terry Garvin - 60
Boris Malenko - 61
Little Beaver - 61
Sapphire - 61
Shohei Baba - 61
Sir Oliver Humperdink - 62
Dick the Bruiser - 62
Wilbur Snyder - 62
George Cannon - 62
Karl Krupp - 62
Dale Lewis - 62
Gorilla Monsoon - 62
Hiro Matsuda - 62
Bad News Brown - 63
Bulldog Brower - 63
SD Jones - 63
Wahoo McDaniel - 63

S7 Wiggles1778
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by S7 K1ll3rKlown on Wed May 25, 2011 11:17 am

Randy was cool...may he rest in peace!
I guess as a community they attend an awful lot of funerals.

I know everyone on that list (give or take one or two) but I haven't watched this stuff since I was a kid. None of the "new" wrestlers I'd even know if they didn't transfer over to movies like The Rock (but I know him because of his dad as a wrestler and him from University of Miami football anyway). The point is, I think they do some un-natural things to become the guys they are if you get my meaning. The male human muscle can only grow so large depending on DNA and body size...they tend to "overdo" it sometimes and they pay the ultimate price with heart failure etc. Take a look at all-natural bodybuilders and compare that to the regular body builders...you'll see a massive difference in the guys that simply train and lift as they are still muscular but severly smaller.

S7 K1ll3rKlown
Colonel
Colonel

GamerTag : S7 K1ll3rKlown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:26 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top